Chair Pockets

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by mjennings, Jul 11, 2007.

1. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Jul 11, 2007

Im trying out tables this year instead of desks, becuase Im tired of the kids messing with things inside their desks. I teach first grade, so there arent many textbooks.

I have seen the chairpockets, however, they are about 7 dollars a piece and I dont have that kind of money to spend. Does anyone have any suggestion on where I can find them cheap or a way I can make my onw (i dont have a sewing machine though)

thanks

3. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Jul 11, 2007

anyone??

4. SunShinePumper

SunShinePumper Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

I'm actually working on making my own. I was able to get all the materials for around $20. I'm using about a yard of fabric 15inches wide for each. I fold the top over( to the back) about 5 inches and fold the bottom up(to the front) about 11 inches. Then I sewed up the sides. Its been going fairly quickly but I have a machine. If you had a friend to help its not too difficult.

Hope this helps.

5. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

Okay, I haven't tried this myself (I don't sew :) ), but I heard that you can take a pillow case, and somehow slit the sides, sew them over, and make a chair pocket. Has anyone else heard of this??

6. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 11, 2007

If you try googling chair pockets or pillowcase chair pockets you'll get alot of hits. There is a site that gives very good directions for making them. If you make them use heavy fabric. My mom made 50 for me out of drapery fabric (found the drapes at a garage sale) and I am on my 3rd year with them. Perhaps you could find some parent volunteers who sew at the beginning of the year who would be able to make some for you as long as you provide the pattern and fabric.

7. msb0803

msb0803 Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

Where I did my student teaching, a teacher had each student donate a towel and she sewed them for the students.