Ch-ch-ch-changes

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by jen12, Sep 17, 2011.

1. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Sep 17, 2011

Wow! It looks like there was some serious movement at one of my school districts! Last week I pulled a job off of the online system listed for 1st grade. It said to call in for special instructions and the voice message for the teacher said it was actually 4th.

Then this morning I found a job for Tuesday that said 3rd grade. Again there were special instructions. When I called in it said it wasn't 3rd, but a 5/6 combo.

I'm not crazy about those higher grades. I much prefer the younger students, but at this time of the year beggars can't be choosers. And at least I got the information ahead of time! Last year I showed up for a kinder job only to find out that the teacher had switched to 6th grade.

I'm wondering just how widespread all of this movement is since on two of the three jobs I've had so far this year have had this situation. I guess I'll have to be ready for surprises!

3. uncleal

uncleal Rookie

Sep 17, 2011

That's right. Beggars cannot be choosers.

My biggest surprise was at a high school. I was assigned a P.E. teacher position and it turned out that the teacher also taught math for two periods...and yearbook. I came dressed up for P.E. and ended up teaching in four different classrooms! It was still an awesome experience...but I was so glad that I had all my wordsearches ready to roll just in case.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 17, 2011

jen12, how the heck is that kind of mistake made when it says a certain grade but it's really a totally different grade? :confused: I don't understand it! What are they trying to pull, some kind of sick joke?! :mad: So, basically, you'll never know what grade you'll be teaching until almost the last minute. Strange.

5. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Sep 17, 2011

I think the sub system is just slow to get updated with any changes. Usually its a situation where the teacher taught a different grade the year before. If the teacher is on top of things and they know it still has out of date info they will add the voice message with the right info. I'm not sure whose job it is to update the system or when they get around to doing it. At this point I just go with the flow.

6. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Sep 17, 2011

I had that happen at a middle school where it was listed as science but (surprise!) the teacher also taught P.E. Since it was only a half day assignment, it really turned out to be a nice break. I just set them loose on the basketball courts with some balls. Interestingly the PE was easier to manage than inside the classroom!

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 18, 2011

In my district, many classes are "collapsed" during the first few weeks of school. Thus, teachers are moved to different grade-levels if their class is collapsed. It takes a while for the sub system to get updated. A friend of mine has taught 5th grade for several years but she got moved to Kindergarten two weeks ago. I'm sure the sub system still lists her as 5th.

8. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 18, 2011

Things happen and maybe they decide to use the sub in a different way and staff a high priority class with a sub that the teacher knows... Things happen. Better to go in prepared than to flounder all day.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 18, 2011

I sincerely doubt it's a 'sick joke'. It's most likely a matter of school needs....for instance, some days in my district, 6-8 teachers may be involved on workshops. That's A LOT of subs who were contacted a head of time since a workshop is planned ahead of time. It's happened that another teacher may then call in sick at the last moment so coverage is needed for that class. One of the workshop teachers might be pulled to stay and her sub re-assigned to cover the teacher who called in sick. It's not a matter of 'never knowing what grade you'll be teaching', but it does happen on occasion. The needs of the school and students come first, not the personal preferences of subs (or teachers).:sorry:

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 18, 2011

I tend to think that administrators are too busy administrating to have time to make sick jokes.

I think it's a combination of the start of a new school year, and one in which the sheer number of changes within each school system was mind boggling. For every single one of those tens of thousands of layoffs, an administrator had to juggle kids, rooms, and priorities.

I've had a couple of meetings with our AP over the last week for National Honor Society stuff. We had no layoffs, no significant last minute changes in kids or faculty, and it still blew my mind to see how many balls he's keeping in the air. I can easily see how a computer might not have been updated yet. And keep in mind: many schools in the US are only entering their 2nd full week. Tomorrow will be my 9th day of classes.

I would agree-- go in prepared to deal with whichever grade level you get. In the words of every politician who faced Hurricane Irene a few weeks ago: "Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst."

Experience with a wide variety of age groups can only help you down the road at interview time.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 18, 2011

:thumb:flexibility is of great service to anyone who works in education.

12. Joy

Joy Cohort

Sep 18, 2011

That's nice that the teachers took the time to record the correct grade even though it isn't changed in the system! I picked up a job off of subfinder last year. It was listed as Kindergarten. I didn't know the name of the teacher and she wasn't listed on the website which I thought was very odd. I showed up at the school to find out that I was subbing for a LTS (which is why I didn't know the name) and it wasn't Kindergarten but 5th grade. That wouldn't have been that big of a deal but it happened to be the dreaded 5th grade class that the entire school rumored about!!! I told the secretary that it was listed as Kindergarten and she asked if I still wanted to take it. Since the kids were getting there in twenty minutes, I needed the money, and I wouldn't leave them high and dry like that, I took it. The secretary must have told the principal about the situation because he came around at least twice that day to ask how it was going. It went better than I thought although I spent the entire day being very nervous! I was so glad when that day ended!!!

13. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Sep 18, 2011

I admire those of you that sub. I know I would be a nervous wreck if I had to sub. It never crossed my mind that someone could show up for work and have everything change at the last minute. The explanations on how that happens makes sense. Anyway, just posting to say how much I admire subs:)

14. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Sep 18, 2011

I've found that they're very apologetic when the information is off, and I too have been asked if I still want the job when I show up and it's different than what I thought it would be. I can't imagine walking away at that point. There might be people who do, but at that point it'll leave the school in a mess and it's doubtful that another job will come up for the day. So the worst that happens is you have a difficult class. So what? It's just one day.

It's nice that the principal checked on you. I appreciate when that happens, although I know some people might take it as undermining their authority in the classroom.

And to the other posters - although we definitely have preferences, wanting to know what grade level we're walking into isn't a matter of wanting things our own way. It's a matter of preparing. What do I bring for filler in case I have extra time and options are not provided? Do I bring my picture books, or do I bring my chapter books? Should I bring coloring pages or word searches?

Subbing is all about flexibility. Even if the information is right in the system, you can still show up and they might put you someplace else. Everyone is doing the best they can each and every day.

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 18, 2011

Speaking of this, the thing I didn't like about subbing the RSP teachers is that if another sub hadn't come in yet for a gr level teacher, the RSP sub could be pulled & put into the gr level class. I'm glad that didn't really happen to me too much when I used to sub for RSP.