Certified Teachers as Paras

Discussion in 'Paraprofessionals' started by daisycay, May 9, 2012.

1. daisycay

daisycay Rookie

May 9, 2012

Has anyone else had trouble getting a Para job because they are a certified teacher? I want a para job, not a full time teaching position.

3. bison

bison Habitué

May 9, 2012

I've met many paras who have their teaching credentials. They work as paras because they can't find full time teaching positions right now.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 9, 2012

I'm a para. Many of the new paras they hired (12 back in January) either have our credentials or is in the process of obtaining one. In this area I live in, these are the only types of jobs that we can get. I don't mind as I also like to work only part time.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 9, 2012

Many of our paras are certified teachers as well.

6. waterfall

waterfall Maven

May 9, 2012

The paras in my district aren't, but that's because the job market is pretty okay here. In my home state it was extremely common to see certified teachers as paras because it was the only job they could find.

7. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

May 9, 2012

None of our paras are certified teachers. They do all have at least an Associate degree. We need teachers in the state of Mississippi.

8. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

May 9, 2012

We have a few paras that are certified teachers. But I teach in a high school, so we don't have many paras (except for special education).

9. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 9, 2012

I'm one of two paras in an RSP room, and we are both certified teachers. It's really common these days, just like subs being certified.

10. flutetoot

flutetoot Companion

May 10, 2012

I am a para and certified - cannot find a teaching job. Most of the paras I work with have their certification.

11. Lessa99

Lessa99 Rookie

May 25, 2012

I agree, it is not all that uncommon. I also had to take a Para job in order to get into the district I wanted.

I know the school loves it because they pull me about one to two days a week to sub for a teacher that didn't get a sub! I love it!

As a recommendation, get a flu shot and Pertussis booster shot! I contracted Pertussis from my student who has missed the past two weeks of school! I am currently home because the school will not allow me to step in the building until I have had a 5 day treatment of antibiotics!

12. Mom_to_3

Mom_to_3 Rookie

May 31, 2012

I too am a para that is certified. It is pretty common in Illinois, where I live, to find certified teachers working as subs or paras.