Certified 12 years ago but never taught

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by MoonMomma, Jul 3, 2008.

1. MoonMomma

MoonMomma Rookie

Jul 3, 2008

After 12 years in another career, I'm looking for a teaching job again. I became certified 12 years ago. Once I started looking for a job where I moved after graduation, I realized that my type of certification was in very low demand, so I got discouraged and didn't even try very hard. The jobs in my certification area are very few and far between and I suspect many of them go to experienced teachers who have wanted to teach that subject for years, but already had a certification in a subject that's in demand.
    Every few years I apply for a posting I see. I only got called for one interview, and that went nowhere because it was only part-time and I absolutely could not (and still can't) afford it.
    I have the college hours and ability to become certified in two more areas by testing. I'm taking one test next month, but I need more time to study for the other one. Unfortunately, both of those are in very low demand as well.
    I have a lot obstacles to overcome in getting a teaching job. (Namely, lack of experience in teaching, ancient teacher references, losing my teaching knowledge from not using it, etc...) Then I've read so many of the difficulties on the job seeker forum and I wonder if I am just totally dreaming to think I might be able to get a teaching job. I'm no spring chicken and I have a family to support, so spending several more years trying to become certified in a high demand area I have no background in, or taking a huge pay cut by subbing or assisting, are not real options for me.
    I have taught my pre-K daughter to read on the 2nd grade level though. Do you think that will be impressive enough to land me a job? :rolleyes:

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2008

Never say never! It won't be easy. I won't lie, even fresh out of college grads are finding it difficult to land a job. Could you possibly sub one day a week while retaining your full time job? It may help you get the experience you need and give you a few references.

What are you certified in? I had to take a test to meet new cert. requirements last year. So, make sure you do that first.

good luck.

4. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Jul 3, 2008

I understand your pain. I have taught kindergarten for the last 12 years but had to resign because of a new principal. To be older (mature), is difficult to sell. Just keep trying, don't give up, pray and wait to see what is coming your way. I am sure that something will!

5. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 5, 2008

You might want to try subbing or getting a part-time teaching assistant position. I would suggest doing something like this in order to help make sure this is what you want to be doing--- not just teaching, but also grade and subject. I swore up and down that I would only want to teach high school biology--- I HATED it while student teaching. Now I'm a 5th grade science teacher and I'm overly thrilled :D

My one other suggestion is that your education courses/tests are NOT going to teach you how to teach. Every teacher needs their own personal library when it comes to education books. This can get rather expensive, but often you can buy used copies CHEAP from amazon.com. Research every book before you buy it--- get reviews from REAL teachers, not just random sites. We have booklist thread for new teachers located here: http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=56030. Start reading the books that have been suggested and you'll be back into shape soon.

One last thing... as much advice as we can offer you, as books can tell you, and as much as a course can educate you: nothing will compare to the lessons you learn in the classroom actually teaching. This is not an easy profession by any means--- I'm sure LOTS of educators have told you this already.

Good luck!! :D