Certifications in multiple states... worth it?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by gr3teacher, Dec 28, 2013.

1. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 28, 2013

I hold teaching certificates in three states. I was originally certified in New York, taught in Maryland for a year, and have my five-year certificate in Virginia. My New York and Maryland certificates both expire this year, and I'm debating whether or not to renew them. My Maryland certificate I'll probably let expire either way... I don't see myself ever teaching in Maryland again.

Really, it's my New York certificate that I'm questioning. On one hand, if I ever decided to move back, having the certificate in hand would make life easier. One the other hand... well, money is tight and certificate renewal costs money.

Does anyone keep certificates from multiple states active? Are there any benefits I'm missing to renewing my New York (or Maryland, for that matter) certificates?

3. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Dec 28, 2013

I let my certification lapse in my home state. It was really easy to get a new one. I'd check though before I'd let it happen again.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2013

I think it's always better to renew than to start over. You never know where life will take you.

My BFF recently moved back to her home state. She had let that state's license lapse. In the time between when she originally got her license in that state and today, the requirements have completely changed. Now she is no longer eligible to apply for licensure without additional coursework and an additional student teaching placement, even with lots of experience in another state. She is frustrated and wishes that she would have just kept up with that license. She let it go because she hadn't been planning on moving back. Things in her life changed, though, and she found herself back there. Now she finds herself back there without a way to get a teaching job. :(

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 28, 2013

You never know where life will take you. I only have a CA teaching credential, but if I had certifications in other states, I'd definitely renew them.

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Dec 28, 2013

This. Definitely. Happened to me which I regret.

7. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Dec 28, 2013

If you can afford to renew, it may be wise. I renewed mine for about 15 years after I moved, then decided to save the $$$....in 5 years we moved back!! Luckily, I had taken classes and was able to get it back without too much difficulty, but I wish I had just kept it up..I think it was a 5 year certificate. One never knows these days. Hope it works out for you.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Dec 28, 2013

I kept my home state's certification current the whole time I lived away. It is way easier to just keep it instead of having to start over!

I guess it would depend on the state, though. NC is super easy to get a license in. I only had to write a check and everything transferred.

9. Ponypal

Ponypal Comrade

Dec 30, 2013

I am permanently New York state certified. How does your NYS certification expire? Is is because you had moved away and didn't take a position in NY?

10. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 30, 2013

They did away with the permanent certificate in New York. Now it's only a five year certificate.

11. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jan 1, 2014

If you previously had a permanent one, don't worry, it's still permanent. They just don't give them anymore, for at least the last five years already.

I'd do the renewal. I know all about tight budgets, but it's what - $100? Once in five years? Potential gains outweigh cost easily, even if your thoughts of moving back are unlikely. You never know and reapplying could be rough.

12. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jan 1, 2014

I would renew because life can take so many different directions.

13. Ponypal

Ponypal Comrade

Jan 3, 2014

I didn't know that NYS had made a change. Good to know. It's a good idea to always renew as others had mentioned that you never know where life may take you.

My family is looking into a possible move to Texas and I'd never in a million years would have thought that my husband would ever consider doing so. I'll make sure I keep myself aware of new changes where I may end up.

14. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jan 3, 2014

:yeahthat:

I keep my certification current in one neighboring state. I let one other expire but am thinking of renewing it.

15. chemnerd19

chemnerd19 Companion

Jan 3, 2014

This.

16. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 3, 2014

Then renew for another 5 years to give yourself the benefit of the doubt. I would consider it an investment in options.