Certifications/endorsements?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by prinjess82, Jul 17, 2008.

1. prinjess82

prinjess82 Rookie

Jul 17, 2008

I am a Kinder teacher with an Ec-4 certificate. My husband just recently received his generalist 4-8 certificate and has been looking for a job. We have found that a lot of districts require a specific certificate (math or science for example) or a subject specific endorsement. This is all over my lil EC-4 head. Is any one familiar with how my husband could make his certificate more marketable? I always though middle school teachers were needed but we haven't had any luck! Thanks.

3. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2008

as a fellow ECH person, I believe the EE folks are more marketable if they become Highly Qualified in their subject matter. Many subjects are more sought after, and if he is in one of these areas, that is a plus. In addition, adding the sp. ed endorsement, and/or bilingual endorsement is also something schools are interested in.

btw.. I have sp. ed. endorsement...which few people know exist! and besides bilingual endorsement, that's about all us ECH folks can handle!! :p

welcome aboard!!

4. prinjess82

prinjess82 Rookie

Jul 17, 2008

Thanks for the info. How does one go about getting endorsements or becoming highly qualified in a certain subject? He is awesome in Math and Science....

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 17, 2008

If he already has the 4-8 certificate, he could take the TExES exam for any subject (Math 4-8 or Science 4-8 or a Math/Sci 4-8). The condition is that if he fails a test, he has to take the required course work before taking the test again and he loses the test fee money. If he is confident in one of the subjects, he should go ahead and test in that area. Math and science aren't the only choices, but they are the most marketable and you mentioned them. Look here under #3 for more info: http://www.sbec.state.tx.us/SBECOnline/certinfo/routescertif.asp?width=1440&height=900#certbyexam

6. prinjess82

prinjess82 Rookie

Jul 18, 2008

Thanks for the link but where did you hear about "The condition" on failing the test? We were told that if he fails he just has to wait 60 days before he can register again, not take more course work. Ugg..this is so much more complicating than being a kinder teacher. :p