Certification vs BA in Education

Discussion in 'General Education' started by rackfocus, Mar 16, 2011.

1. rackfocus

rackfocus New Member

Mar 16, 2011

I have a BA in Communication and have been attempting to work in TV and Film, and it's not going well. I've always been interested in teaching and am thinking of pursuing teaching high school English.

Do you think it's better to get a teaching certificate or to go back and actually get a BA in English Education, Grades 6-12.

The main factors I am worried about:

1) Will someone with a BA in Education get chosen over someone with a Certificate?

2) Does it affect salary?

The BA will probably increase the time I am back in college for about a semester. But to me it seems like GRE vs diploma. GRE has a negative connotation to it so I am worried that the certificate would carry the same.

3. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Mar 16, 2011

Why would you go for a BA, when you can get an MEd or an MAT in half the time?

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2011

You should be able to get a Masters in Ed, like Brendan said, that also gives you certs. I know SO many people doing this. As long as you have a BA in something, it won't affect your salary. Having a Master's will start you at a higher rate though.

I would say you are probably MORE employable with your background, especially if you can find a school looking for someone to teach speech, journalism, etc. but fair warning - it's not easy to get an English position in a lot of areas.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 16, 2011

Just a word of warning: Given the current news in the world of education, that English teaching job may be as difficult to land as one in TV and Film.

English teachers have ALWAYS faced a difficult job market. Now, with so many being laid off, it's even more of a battle.

I'm not suggesting you abandon your dreams-- some people WILL be hired and there's no reason why you can't be one of them. But I did want to prepare you for the realities of a brutal job market.

6. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2011

:yeahthat:

Here in CA, we're laying off, even in my relatively affluent area. My district may increase English class sizes in grades 9-10 from 25 (used to be 20) and just make all classes 38, which will result in the loss of at least one teaching position.

7. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Mar 16, 2011

Don't you HAVE to have a certificate in teaching in order to teach based on highly qualified status? You can't just teach with a BA or BS can you?

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2011

I think since he already has a BA he is wondering if he should get ANOTHER BA in teacher ed, which would result in certification, or if he should just take the courses for certification, which you can do without getting an additional degree.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 16, 2011

I say go ahead & work on your Masters. I don't actually have a BA in Ed, mine's in Behavioral Sci & I went ahead & ended up getting 2 credentials & an MA in Special Ed. I'm now going to start working on getting a 2nd Masters, but that's only because the field switching into makes it mandatory in that particular field (SLP) & there's no way around it.

Don't waste time getting a 2nd BA/BS.

10. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Mar 16, 2011

Agreed about not doing the second BA.

Although I will suggest that if you're not really really solid in English, to take a few classes on things like grammar.

11. rackfocus

rackfocus New Member

Mar 16, 2011

I appreciate all of your advice.

I didn't think you could get an MA in Education without having a BA in it.

I know the job market for teachers is rough. I also thought of going for physics, since I am a science and space nut, but I didn't take much math in college so my first semester in the secondary degree would most likely consist of prerequisite math classes before I can even touch a physics class.

I've also been thinking about going for a computer science degree. That would take another 3 years of school. Yay! More loan debt!

Basically I wish someone would have told me 6 years ago that my liberal arts degree is a huge waste of time and that I needed to get a BS instead. But we hadn't hit that economic bubble yet and job prospects were pretty good. Until the year I graduated, that is. So it was all sunshine and roses while we were in school, and now about 85% of my peers are working in retail just like I am. (I am an assistant manager, at least).

So thank you all for the advice. Looks like I need to do a lot more research. It seems like regardless of what I do, if I want to not work in retail the rest of my life, I'm going to need 2-3 more years of school; which is frustrating. Those original 4 years have already given me enough debt. Though it looks like a Computer Science degree is going to be my best bet when it comes to the job market. If in 3 years the job market switches and a CS degree is worthless, I am going to be ******.

12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 16, 2011

Not sure which part of the country the OP is from, but here's how it'd work in CA:

He/she would need to get a teaching credential. Part of earning a teaching credential involves taking the required tests: CBEST, CSET, and RICA). Getting a Master's Degree is fine, but one can't teach here in CA without a credential--even if you have your Master's. I definitely wouldn't recommend getting another BA/BS.

Best wishes! The job market (for teachers) here in CA is extremely, extremely competitive!

13. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Mar 16, 2011

I'm currently in a credential program which allows me to bring all the credits into a Master's program, assuming cumulative GPA is ~3.2 or ~3.5 and up.

That's probably ideal for you. As others have said though, the market is really tough, but it can be done.

My friend is an English teacher, she had to teach at a private school for a few years (lower pay), but once an English teaching FTE job opened up at the local public school she got the job.

You'll have to fight harder, but it's possible.

You seem to not really know what you want to do though. I would suggest you sit back and think awhile before accruing more debt. Debt is not your friend, and educational debt you will NEVER escape. You will be paying until it's paid, period.

14. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Mar 16, 2011

Get a master's with the teaching certificate. Just be prepared for a difficult job market.