Certification Question

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by smalagreca, Sep 22, 2009.

1. smalagreca

smalagreca Companion

Sep 22, 2009

Hi all.
    I was wondering if you could help me out.
    I know the new certifications are B-2 and 1-6. If you have the 1-6 cert, are you able to teach kindergarten? I was under the impression the answer was NO. However, I am being told that you are allowed to teach one grade above and one grade below your cert. Is there any truth to this? Is this a rule that was bent in the ny city system? Any clarification is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

3. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2009

I don't know about NYC, but I know where I live in Upstate NY that wouldn't work. Hopefully someone in NYC will be able to answer this for you.

You should look into getting the B-2 extension (which would probably be two courses at most for you to get) even if this is true just to provide you extra flexibility. Do you have the literacy B-6 certification, because BOCES just approved my certification for the B-2 license based on the pedagogy based on that certification (which hopefully will be finalized soon).

4. smalagreca

smalagreca Companion

Sep 22, 2009

Oh its not for me. I'm certified in both. I know on LI, you can only teach what you are certified in. I am not sure if nyc is different.
    I ask bc I think its important to know the rules and regs in my surrounding areas.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 22, 2009

Is B-2 Birth to 2 years or grade 2? I was confused when I looked it up on the NYS website. I want to get 1-6 students with disabilities and now i'm wondering if I should bother with b-2?

6. smalagreca

smalagreca Companion

Sep 22, 2009

grade 2

7. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Sep 22, 2009

B-2 is to second grade. I know that in NY you can teach for one year out of your certification area but I've never heard anything about being able to teach one grade level above or below.

And Jessica, really? That stinks because I took a course to get my B-2 certification before I got my master's (for literacy B-6); I bet it would have worked that way for me too.

8. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2009

Yeah, in my TEACH account it says that it was approved by BOCES and when I looked at the evaluation it has a comment that says "applicant already holds a certificate in literacy birth-6" so I think that I'm okay, but I'll feel a lot better when the certificate is issued and I have a copy.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 22, 2009

I think I'll stick with 1-6 only and skip the B-2 for now. I can't believe it is $100 each for them to evaluate your transcripts! Good ol' New York!

10. smalagreca

smalagreca Companion

Sep 22, 2009

On LI there is a shortage of teachers certified to teach kindergarten. Most are certified 1-6.