Certification Problem

Discussion in 'General Education' started by deserttrumpet, Nov 23, 2007.

1. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Nov 23, 2007

I am currently teaching for my 2nd year under an emergency certificate. According to my colleagues and my principal I am doing a great job, that I am a natural teacher. However, just having someone say I am a good teacher isn’t enough to be highly qualified, so I am taking on-line classes to meet these requirements. I just finished taking my finials and finished up a very stressful semester for me (taking multiple credit hours and teaching three different preps at the high school). The first two tests I took I breezed through and did very well on. The last test, however, I only earned a 76%. Here is where my problem enters. The particular school I am going through has a policy that if you do not score a B or better on your midterm & final they will not count any of your homework grades, which automatically bumps you down to a D, which is not passing in their book. If they were to count my homework grades I would have earned a B in the class. To become certified through their program I must retake this class (pay for it over again, do all the work, etc). I am really upset by this. I have never been a D student before and don’t believe that I am one now. Beyond that, having earned a D is enough to have me kicked out of the program. This means, with the exception of having the classes on a transcript, all of the other classes I took were for nothing. I only have two more classes left to take and I am done. I want to be highly qualified by the end of the school year and the only thing that is holding me back is a few education classes. My question is: is this common practice in education classes? Should I find another program this late in the game (I live in a small city, all classes would have to be online or a 70 mile commute)? Should I try to fight this? In essence, what are your opinions? Thanks.

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Nov 23, 2007

I have never heard of this. It sounds more like the school or teacher's policy, rather than a standard practice, but I may be wrong. I think that sounds particularly harsh, especially considering you would have a B in the class otherwise. A 76% should be a C. That is not the worst thing in the world. I would be really upset also.

However, given that you are so close to finishing, I think you could talk to the program and see if they can do something for you, but at this point you need to stay with the same program. Often credits transfer differently to different schools, and if you changed, you may need to take a lot of classes anyway. I know most colleges and universities require a certain number of credits be earned at that institution to qualify for a degree. If you are close to finishing, it probably is not worth it to go elsewhere.

I would probably just take the class again. It is 3 more quarters, and you would be certified by fall if you take a class over the summer. If you are doing well at your current position, my guess is they will keep you on again, especially if they know you are just about certified.

Good luck!