Certification? Opinion needed!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by CDOR79, Feb 7, 2020.

1. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Feb 7, 2020

I obtained the Elementary 1000 certificate in 2005. I was told by the NJDOE office that this certificate allows me to teach Pre-School through 8th grade. I also obtained my special ed cert in 2017.

I’m looking to strengthen my resume, make myself more marketable, and “update” my certifications WITHOUT going back to school. I’d love to go back but can’t because I simply can’t afford to. Anyway, because of the reasons I just mentioned, I am thinking to take the Early Childhood Praxis II, as I would love to start teaching children in the Pre-K age group. Another option I’m considering is taking the math praxis for middle school. I don’t even need the latter cert though, according to the NJDOE. They said that’s up to the district Bc I am technically able to teach middle school already. But again- just trying to be more current and put myself in a good position! I’m not sure if the same applies for preschool, but I’m thinking it might.

I’m just curious of your professional opinions- especially those at the administrative level. Which route do you think would be the best one to take to help me satisfy the goals I mentioned?

I’ve been teaching in a private school for 12 years now and am looking to get into a public school district. I like where I am but the money and stability alone make me need/want to go into a public district.

Any input would be truly appreciated!

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 7, 2020

My opinion...you are already certified and have been teaching for 12 years. That should be enough to get you interviews without jumping through more hoops.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 7, 2020

I think that you will open a can of worms by taking Praxis exams at this late date for something that you already, technically, are covered for. If a district wants you to teach Pre-K, however, and they are not sure about your qualifications, let them offer tuition reimbursement to freshen your knowledge, because 15 years is a long time, and things have changed. I wouldn't, however, go in with apologies for the certificate you have. Your certificates, PK-8 and TOSD, is pretty darn close to the old TOH in anything under HS. It should make you highly marketable. If, after a few interviews, you find that they are asking about MS math or PK, deal with it. Yes, I'm in NJ. Best of luck.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  5. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Feb 8, 2020

Good points from both of you. Thank you!

I agree with what you’re both saying but it’s just been SO hard to try to get info a public school district. I thought doing something like obtaining an additional certificate would give me a bit of an advantage and help me “stand out” from ALL of the other teachers applying for jobs. I feel like I need to do something that sets me apart from everyone else.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 8, 2020

Based on this last post, you are going to want to take professional development in your desired content - math and PK - to show growth and current knowledge in those subjects. I can tell you that if you want to teach PK Handicapped, you are talking about graduate courses at some point, because that is an area where there has been great change and development. However, webinars, weekend PD events, and maybe summer PD events would go a long ways towards catching you up and look great on a resume. Same concept for PD in MS math. The Praxis won't prove as much as growth and a desire to stay current evidenced by continued PD. Just my opinion. Example: I can pass the MS Math praxis based on content, but that is not the same as knowing the current methodologies as teaching so students excel.

7. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Feb 10, 2020

You rock, Vicki! Thank you for taking the time to offer such great advice.

What you said makes a lot of sense! I’m going to look into workshops/webinars. Hopefully it will help with my search.

Thanks again :)

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

9. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Feb 11, 2020

I will do that. Again- thank you SO much!