Certification from state to state

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by rchlkay, Apr 13, 2010.

1. rchlkay

rchlkay Companion

Apr 13, 2010

Probably a long shot, but does anyone have any experience transferring from an IL to IA license in sp ed?

What I'm finding is that what I'm currently teaching (and licensed to teach multiple other levels of this) in my state is not at all what the new state wants to allow.

Anyone have advice? Want to make me feel better by sharing your stories that have been frustrating? I'm just worn out with everything at the moment...

3. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 14, 2010

4. rchlkay

rchlkay Companion

Apr 14, 2010

Thanks, bros, I did know that IA wasn't going to work exactly like IL but I didn't think I'd be looking at 9-10 additional college classes to get the endorsement I want. (Which again I want to say, I;m teaching this type of class now..I don't think there's anything wrong with my class/teaching and I want to continue doing this! Just doesn't look like I can....) I'm really torn between continuing on my master's in rdg (not going to get me the sp ed credits I need) or starting over with a master's in sp ed.

5. JKM

JKM New Member

Apr 18, 2010

I assume you have already checked with the State Dept. of Education and their certification office. Have they looked at your transcript? My original certificate was from WI, I moved and had to apply for a TX certificate, later, a KY certificate and eventually a MI certificate. I had to take at least 1 class everywhere I lived. I had a provisional certificate for the 1st year and needed the requirements to renew the following year. It was always better for me to talk by phone to a real person who was looking at my application and transcripts. My areas of certification for grades in both regular and special education changed with each state. You could go the national certification route! Good luck!

6. missapril81

missapril81 Companion

Apr 19, 2010

It gets frustrating, I work in WV, but live in MD and graduated from a MD school. I have more on my WV certificate than I do on my MD certificate. With the Sp. Ed praxis in WV I'm certified for multi-categorical, LD and BD. In MD, I only have a Generic Sp. Ed certification. WV will not pay for the rest of my Master's which is frustrating. I eventually want to go back to MD, but here I atleast am getting the experience.