Certification - 6th in elementary

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by David94, Sep 6, 2013.

1. David94

David94 Rookie

Sep 6, 2013

Does anyone teach sixth grade in an elementary setting? If so, are you certified in elementary ed or middle school ed? Are you self-contained or departmentalized? Would you be allowed to do the opposite (by state requirements, not school policy)?

My district decided that the elementary schools will slowly absorb 6th grade; however, my state licenses K-4, P-5, or 5-9. Would someone who has a P-5 certification be allowed to teach sixth in an elementary setting, or would the district have to pull middle school teachers?

3. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Sep 7, 2013

I teach in KY too. I want to say that they would be required to have a teacher that is certified for 6th, not P-5. I only think that because a friend of my is certified to teach 8-12 history in Ky, so he found out that he could teach 8th grade history only, in middle school, or 9-12 in high school, but could not go to 6th or 7th. I'd say since this is a district choice and not a state choice, the rules probably won't change. On the other hand, I've seen rural districts in my area who couldn't find a teacher for a certain grade do. 'Emergency certification' so that a teacher could teach a different grade.

4. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2013

The teacher would have to be certified for 6th no matter the setting. I assume that they would have to have the 5-9 license (if that covers all subjects). In my state elementary certification is K-6, so almost all of the 6th grade teachers in my district are certified elementary even though 6th is departmentalized. There are a few 6th grade teachers in the district that are secondary and they can teach it because those licenses are 6-12, but they can only teach their area of certification.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2013

Our certification is K-6 as well. I also assume they'd need a 5-9 certification.

6. David94

David94 Rookie

Sep 8, 2013

Okay, 2 more bits of info:

5-9 Certification is only for one or two subjects.

I found this on our Dept of Ed website:
    "This option may be particularly interesting to teachers who wish to extend or add to their certificates due to changes in school configurations within their districts. For example, a teacher who has been teaching 6th grade math with a K-4/P-5 certificate is allowed to do so in a P-6 school configuration. However, this assignment is “out-of-field” should the district change to a 6-8 middle school configuration. Likewise, those teachers currently holding high school certification may be interested in extending their grade range down to grade 5 via a TC-HQ."

So, would that be a yes, one with a P-5 could teach 6th?

7. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Sep 8, 2013

When I moved to an elementary building, I had to add an elementary certification even though I was still teaching a departmentalized subject. Check with your state department to be sure.

8. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Sep 8, 2013

I'm certified Pk-6th, but 6th is Middle School so I'm not sure if I would need a subject-area endorsement to teach 6th. I don't really want to teach that grade anyway so I haven't really looked into it