certificate vs. masters AND public vs. private school

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by judyinillinois, Aug 15, 2005.

1. judyinillinois

judyinillinois New Member

Aug 15, 2005

I am currently teaching preschool, but am thinking of getting a teaching certificate and switching to public school. I have a bachelors degree and would need to either spend 3 years in a program, getting paid for two years of teaching, and get a certificate only or do two years (unpaid) and get a masters degree. I am debating which is best, as it will cost more for the masters, but I may make more after. I am interested in input on both working in public versus private schools and having a teaching certificate versus having a masters degree. I live near very competitive school districts with some of the top schools in the nation

3. jpre-k teacher

jpre-k teacher Companion

Aug 15, 2005

I would suggest getting the master's degree simply because if you don't get it now, you will probably end up having to go back and get it later.

4. DaisyGirl

DaisyGirl Rookie

Aug 15, 2005

I think you should go for the masters. I know teachers that have spent years at the same school and now they are stuck on the same pay on the pay scale because they do not have their masters. When I go back in a few years I'm going to take masters courses.

5. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2005

I teach at a parochial school and over half of the teachers have their masters, so I don't think it is a matter of public/private. Go for it if you can! You will never regret having TOO much education!

6. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2005

I say get your master's. If you can get a teaching certification as well as get a specialization for master's do it. Your opportunities will abound. Good luck!

7. wolfster

wolfster Rookie

Aug 16, 2005

I only looked closely at a few private schools and had this info relayed to me for the private school that I will be working for (so I looked at about 5 - so this may not apply to others, I have no idea)

Some of the private schools want specialization (ie., a master or PhD in your field of study - not an MA education), and I think you would have a higher chance of being hired at some of these schools if you had further education. For example, at a private school in Seattle - all of the science teachers had a PhD. In the school I will be working at next year, most (with the exception of a few) have some type of graduate degree.

If you want to determine whether the type of schools you are interested in prefer or do not prefer a graduate degree, visit the website, and then click on faculty. Some will actually list their education on that page.

Best of luck.