Certificate programs out of state

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Brandon Mach, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Brandon Mach

Brandon Mach New Member

Apr 22, 2020

Hello,

I am in a Master's of Arts in Teaching program and will graduate soon. For New York State, a prospective teacher, in order to earn his/her teaching certificate needs to pass 3 tests. I have passed two of them and am having trouble with the third.

My situation is a bit different because I teach overseas where any US teaching certificate is acceptable. I have heard teaching certificates are easier to get in other states, but as I research, all I am finding are teaching programs. I do not need a program, I am finishing one now. All I need is a simpler way to earn a teaching certification. Those that I have found require me to be employed at a school in that state, which obviously I cannot do since I am going overseas.

Any ideas as to how I can earn a certificate online relatively easily without needing to be a teacher or resident of that state and without needing to complete an entire program?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you very much!

-Brandon

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 22, 2020

Pretty much all states require you to complete a program in order to earn an initial teaching certification. Usually people get certified in the state where they complete the program. Sometimes it is then possible to transfer the certification to another state. It’s usually very complicated to complete a program in one state and earn initial certification in another, as the second state will need to do an audit of your program just for your case (they don’t need to do personalized audits of programs within their own state because they are already familiar with them). Your best bet is to put your effort into figuring out how to pass that last test, not figuring out how to bypass it. Bypassing it is likely to require more time and effort.

RainStorm likes this.
  4. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Apr 22, 2020

I have to agree with bella84 here. Work on passing that test. There is no easy way to get around certification. Even if you find a program in some state, you will find they have other requirements that you have not yet met -- because every state has different requirements.

Buckle down and pass that third test in the program you are already in.

CaliforniaRPCV likes this.
  5. Brandon Mach

Brandon Mach New Member

May 1, 2020

Thank you very much for your help!