Central American children coming here alone..

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ecteach, Jun 22, 2014.

1. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jun 22, 2014

I will be totally honest...I don't get involved in the "immigration debate" very often. I sincerely do not know that much about the topic to have an educated conversation/debate. But, these children that are being sent over here alone with no parental supervision angers me to no end. I saw a picture on CNN that broke my heart. The children were laying on the floor sleeping in an open area. I can not imagine sending my child into a country alone. I really feel like their government should prosecute the parents for child abandonment.

That being said, what are we supposed to do with these children? We have a foster care system that is already broken, schools that are working with no extra money, and kids in our own country who are going without sufficient meals this summer.

If you were forced with coming up with a suggestion, what would it be?

3. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jun 22, 2014

I'm not sure. My county is due to get plane loads of 140 people a few times a week, I read in our paper today. This might be three or four times a week. It's very hot here. We don't have much $$$. We have one of the highest unemployment rates in the nation. I'm sure our leaders have no idea how to handle this mess.

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 23, 2014

This is not entirely without precedent. In the 1960's in was plane loads of unaccompanied Cuban children, in an exodus named Operation Pedro Pan. The only difference, which is significant, is that Operation Pedro Pan was organized by the Catholic Church. Maybe we should look at what they did back then as a guide to how to handle this today.

5. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jun 23, 2014

I wonder what circumstances are causing parents to take such drastic action?

6. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jun 23, 2014

WOW! I didn't know that. I wonder if the Catholic Church supported them once they were here.

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 23, 2014

It was a fairly substantial historical event, and there's lots of information available on the internet, but the short version is yes, they did. They set up group homes to take in the incoming children immediately, then did what they could to place the children in foster families (through the church network). It wasn't perfect, and like any large scale operation there were failures, but overall it was successful. Having lived most of my life in Miami, I have a number of friends who were Pedro Pan kids, and their recollections were overall positive. It couldn't be done again quite like it was done then due to changes in child dependency laws, but I do think that studying how the church managed that operation would be a good starting place to try to figure out how to manage the current situation.

8. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jun 23, 2014

I had no idea this existed until I read The Red Umbrella- such an awesome book!
    I agree that this model may solve some current issues.

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 23, 2014

Have I read correctly that the current plan is to return them to their native countries?

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 23, 2014

Not too far from me they just opened a school for these types of kids who were put in a group home. I heard they don't stay for very long. I'm wondering how they got this far north.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 23, 2014

Smugglers who help immigrants get over the border are spreading rumors that now is the time for kids to come to the US because of the DREAM act.

12. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2014

My understanding is that there are tens of thousands of these "children", ranging in ages infant to 18. They pay around $5000 to get here. Where do they get that kind of money? It's crazy...

13. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jun 24, 2014

My school has a high population of Hispanic families. Many of the families have told me stories about how they had to leave all their children at home with other family members in order to come over. They save money and then send for their children to come. Some of them have been here for over 10 years and still are waiting for their children to come.

14. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 24, 2014

I can only imagine a situation in which a parent feels it's better to send their child alone. I hope I'm never in a situation so desperate.

15. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2014

I am VERY emotional towards immigration discussions. And it upsets me that people who know so little about it have so many opinions (this is not directed towards anyone in particular, simply a general statement).

I consider myself extremely liberal, but I believe if you are illegally living in a country and you get caught, you get deported. Sorry, but good run.

What needs to happen so people are NOT living in this (or any) country illegally is to FIX THE FREAKING SYSTEM.

It is a ridiculously long, expensive, and complicated process. We are right now one week away from my husband's immigrant visa interview and it has been OVER FIFTEEN MONTHS for the application. I have spent over TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS. And I have spent an incredible amount of time just researching trying to figure out how the hell to apply and what the next step is. I am an educated, English native-speaker with resources and this was the hardest, most frustrating process I have ever had to do. Imagine someone with no or few resources, little knowledge, and English as a second language trying to apply? It'd be impossible.

So what happens? The people come here illegally.

It is nearly impossible to get a visa to the USA if you are not married or already have family in the USA. The visa lottery is small, the work visas are impossible to get unless you're a professional athlete or Justin Beiber. Student visas can be obtained, but which foreign student can afford to go to USA colleges where tuition would be over $15,000/year? And unable to work? Tourist visas (although not immigrant visas) are also really hard to get. I know many people who can't get tourist visas because they can't provide enough proof that they'll come back to their country.

The system is broken. Has been for a long time. Politicians need to stop focusing on what to do about illegal immigrants and start focusing on HOW TO LET PEOPLE IN LEGALLY.

People with US passports are spoiled in thinking that traveling is easy. It's not for the rest of the world.

16. a2z

a2z Maven

Jun 24, 2014

I don't think people in the US assume travel is easy for everyone.

Also, at one point it was easy to enter the US. The rules changed. It was made difficult to enter to slow the flow of immigrants while allowing a way to enter.

While it is frustrating, difficult and sometimes near impossible, no one has the right move to another country. It is a privilege that is granted and comes with a cost... sometimes a high cost.

Why should it be easy and cheap to move to another country?

When it come to these children, I think we should send them back to Mexico since that is the border they crossed. Mexico can sort it out further. I know it isn't that simple, but this county's avoidance to execute the laws of this country is causing huge problems. It's a hard pill to swallow, but I think it is time for this country to play some hard ball and start deporting people.

17. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2014

I never said it should be easy and cheap. But it should be fixed. There should be more options available for people to immigrate into the country legally so they can get jobs, pay taxes, and become responsible citizens. By not providing methods to enter legally we are encouraging illegal immigration. Because there are NO OPTIONS for people who are not married to a USC, don't have US family, and aren't a famous athlete or musician. Many countries offer working holiday visas (good for two years), many countries offer partner visas, why isn't the USA one of them?

18. a2z

a2z Maven

Jun 24, 2014

I don't buy it, Lucy. Our entire community pool staff is from another country here on a work visa. I know too many people who have work visas and no family in the US to believe that the US doesn't allow people access to this country if they don't have family in the US or aren't a famous athlete or musician.

I've also known people who have extended family here who were granted a visa to eventually become American citizens. Most of them ended up going back to their country because they decided they didn't like American culture for their daughters.

Again, you never answered WHY there should be more options. With a country with horrendous unemployment, strained health care systems, strained education systems, WHY should it be easier for someone to come into this country? The problem with illegal immigration is not a sufficient reason to basically open immigration to all. The problem with illegal immigration is that this country does nothing about it and has too many people happy to look the other way when it comes to our laws. (I don't mean any particular political party - they all have had a hand in the problem.)

19. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 24, 2014

You'll have to count me against any option that involves dropping children off in some other country (especially one they didn't actually come from) without any adults or assurance that they'll be all right. Sorry.

20. teachinnola

teachinnola Rookie

Jun 24, 2014

How is that any different from what their own parents did??

On an individual level, I feel for each and every child. I feel for the parents, too. Realistically, there has to be a line drawn. We (the United States) can't save everyone. We just don't have the resources, and quite frankly I'd like to see those resources used on citizens first and foremost before we start to even think of the children/adults from other places. I am sure they come from crappy countries and lived in crappy situations; I am so thankful I did not. But that is life, and I won't feel bad about where I was born or where they were born. You just can not help everyone, and there are already plenty of people around here that need help.

21. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 24, 2014

It's different because the United States isn't known for letting children starve to death or get sold into prostitution.

22. a2z

a2z Maven

Jun 24, 2014

Not sure why you are sorry. You are completely entitled to your opinion.

Short term, there may seem to be damage, but long term there will be many kids starving and being sold into prostitution (it happens a lot now, you just don't hear about it).

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/20...ackdown_in_us_history_nets_70_nj_arrests.html

What do you think is going to happen when we have millions of children who come across our Mexican border alone? Do you really think our country will be able to handle the economic stress without having someone else come out starving or being victims of the crime that more poverty creates?

One quick swift move to turn these kids over to the Mexican Government and putting our foot down will send a strong message and in the long run probably protect many more people than this might hurt.

But then again, that is my opinion, which you can disagree with.

23. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2014

:thumb:

24. a2z

a2z Maven

Jun 24, 2014

Again, why is the responsibility of the US to give cheap and easy access for university education to foreign students? I had to laugh at the 15K for university. For many it is much more than that and honestly, few kids can work full time or 20 hours a week and keep up a full course load.

But again, why should it be easy for a foreigner to take a university spot? Why should a poor foreigner be able to take a job from an American student who also has a hefty college bill to pay?

25. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jun 25, 2014

I honestly think the ONLY solution is to drop them off over the Mexican border. Do some sort of public service announcement for the parents to pick up their children IF they want them. I am a total bleeding heart Liberal, and it even surprises me that I feel this way. But, THIS is totally uncalled for. We are getting forced into accepting people who don't have any business being here. Just think how much it is going to cost in order to sort this all out.