Centers?

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by kcbutterfly, Jul 14, 2006.

1. kcbutterfly

kcbutterfly Companion

Jul 14, 2006

I'll be a new Kindergarten teacher, and I'm starting to set up my room. I'm having trouble deciding where my centers are going to go in my room. There just doesn't seem to be enough space. Do you have a permanent place/station for each center or do you just use general classroom space?

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2006

Hi there. Welcome to kindergarten. This will be my second year teaching kindergarten- I also student taught in a kindergarten class. So far I love it! The way I have done centers is how I have seen it done during my student teaching and how my partner teacher has done it last year. I am on my own this year in an all day kinder class.
    First of all I will have three table centers that I change everyday. Table centers are usually based on the reading program, the needs of my students, holidays, themed unit, etc. The students have to go to all three table centers.
    Then I have the centers around the classroom. These are during language arts: magnetic alphabet center, reading/library/book center, alphabet puzzles, phonics phone, etc.
    Then I will also have a science/math center time after we do whole group math. I plan to have about 7 tubs that will be color coded. My students will be placed into groups and will work on a specific tub. We will rotate tub everyday.
    All centers are placed into tubs (with the exception of the book center) and placed on a shelf. LA and math tubs are seperated to avoid confusion.
    Does this make sense?? If you are confused, feel free to ask. I hope this will give you some ideas though!

4. kcbutterfly

kcbutterfly Companion

Jul 14, 2006

How are your centers around the classroom arranged? Do you have tables for them? Do students pick an area of the room after they get the tub for your tub centers? Do they normally work on these on the floor or at their regular work table? Thank you so much for your help! :)

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2006

For language arts time, if my students are not at a table center (because the ones they need to go to are full or they are all done) then they can choose any tub and go anywhere in the classroom.
    For the math/science centers- this one is new for me. I have been racking my brain as to exactly how I will do this, but what I think i will do is put my students into groups. Each tub will be color coded. I will have color cards on the board somewhere. Group cards will be placed under each card color. So all they have to do is look for their name and look for the color. They will grab that tub. Now, this is an idea I got from student teaching from my master teacher. What she did was she made these cute color houses with color names on them and hung them above all of the tables, above carpet areas, and so forth. So the color tubs will be placed under the color house. So if a goup is doing a yellow tub, they will sit under the yellow house. I hope this helps!

6. harbodin

harbodin Companion

Jul 15, 2006

All of my "play" centers are on the counter near the sink, the "learning centers" they can choose during free choice are on one bookcase, and everything I need to assist/be present for is on another bookcase across the room (near the table I work with them at) Everything is in tubs/dishpans/baskets. During free choice they may work on the floor or at any table, during more organized activities I place them at the tables where I want them in their groups. (3rd yr teaching K)

7. Tbug

Tbug Companion

Jul 15, 2006

My room is very small so I have a spot on the counter where I keep the centers for the week. We have five centers each week and we just pull them out and set them up on the tables and the rug when it's time for centers. I usually try to have them in the same area, like the journals are always are the first table and the listening center is always at the back table and math is always at the middle table. This seems to work but it is a pain setting them up each day. I often put all the material (like for abc the white boards, white board markers and magn. letters) in a plastic tub so that helps keep me organized and the kids know where to put it when their done. I also have stacked paper trays labeled for each day and an extra one for center papers. So whatever papers I need for centers that week I will put in the tray.

8. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

Jul 16, 2006

I hang up numbers 1 through 8. (Half sheet of laminated construction paper.) The numbers stay all year. The numbers are spaced around the room in order.

I plan a center for each number. The centers stay all week.

Each child has a clothespin with their name. We clip 2 or 3 pins on each number. Every 10 minutes, they clean their center and take their clip to the next center in order. This way each child goes to each center 2 times.

Every Monday, I explain each center throughly. I sometimes make myself one of the centers or I can be free to float from group to group.

Brenda

9. suze

suze Rookie

Jul 17, 2006

This is my first year teaching kindergarten and a bit nervous with the beg of the year. ... When do you introduce centers and have your kids complete the different centers? Second week of school? Third week of school? etc.

Suze

10. harbodin

harbodin Companion

Jul 18, 2006

I introduce each play center to small groups the first few week of school (some the first day when we only have 5 at a time, we do staggered entrance). They have a little bit of time each day to play of course, and we talk every day about how we use it, how to clean it up, etc. After a few weeks, the learning centers we've done in small groups I leave in an area for them to use during free choice time. I don't do formal group centers that require my attention until about the 6 or 7 weekof school (it will be later this year, as I will be out on maternity leave until the 8 or 9 week of school, and will have to see how they are doing). Everything is about expectations. If you let them know up front what your expectations are and be consistent, they will do great. You just have to see how your kids are doing.

11. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

Jul 18, 2006

I actually save centers until the second or third month of school.

Until then I do center type stuff as a large group. Like work with play-dough, lacing cards, etc. and teach them how to use it. Then when I put it in a center, they have already been taught how to handle it.

Does that make sense? Brenda