Centers

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mrsammieb, Jun 29, 2020.

1. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jun 29, 2020

So, I was working on organizing my centers. I wanted to make an August tub, September tub etc with word work and math centers. Do you think we will be allowed to have centers when school gets back in session? Will we be able to share supplies? I honestly cannot imagine life without manipulatives. They already said they will not have a carpet in the classroom. I can't imagine not coming to the floor for books? My brain isn't grasping what I need to do to prepare for August.

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 29, 2020

My guess is that there will be no sharing of supplies and no congregating. If you want to do centers activities, you'll likely have to make individual sets of supplies that students can use at their desks, and you'll need a plan for sanitizing them between uses.

If I were you, I would probably hold of on doing much prep until your school makes clear what school will look like in August and provides guidelines. It's one thing to plan for the ideal future, if that's what you want to do. But I wouldn't make plans that you're actually expecting to use this school year until you know more. Just enjoy summer or do some professional reading for now.

4. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jun 29, 2020

It's all speculation at this point so I'm not investing time in anything yet.

I have tons of manipulatives so I'll probably put together individual kits but I'm going to wait until closer to the beginning of school.

5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2020

I don't see centers being allowed and personally wouldn't spend time on that. I get wanting to be prepared, but as of right now no one really knows what it's going to look like. A month ago we all thought we'd be doing hybrid, in the last 2 weeks numerous districts have announced full time in person models, and now in most parts of the country the numbers are getting worse and people are speculating we'll quickly go back to online learning. Personally I think prepping anything is a waste of time right now and you'll just have to redo it later.

stargirl and bella84 like this.
  6. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Jul 1, 2020

I can't see centers, partner work, or small group instruction being implemented/required as things stand now, tbh.

bella84 likes this.