Centers

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Steelers86, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Steelers86

Steelers86 Rookie

Jan 13, 2011

I love using centers in my first grade classroom however often times I find that it takes me WAY more time to create the center than it does for my students to complete it. I am looking for center ideas for literacy and math centers that reinforce concepts taught in 1st grade that can be used over and over again if that makes sense.

For example: One idea would be to put unifix cubes in the math center for students to practice creating and extending patterns but it can be used over again because they can continiously make different patterns from it.

Or a math fact flashcard game where the student gives the sum and keeps the card and the student with the most cards at the end wins --- would also be continious because they always need to practice facts, etc.

An example for literacy would be to get word tiles with punctuation to create sentence and it would also be a center I could leave out throughout the year.

Does anyone have any additional ideas that they use for centers in math and reading that they use through the year and isn't just an activity that once you finish it, your done....

Your ideas are greatlyyy appreciated! :)

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 13, 2011

Cards are great for math. Do you start practicing double digit addition and subtraction yet? You could have the students flip two cards on top and two cards on bottom to make a math problem....(might be hard to keep regrouping out).

Magnetic letter tiles to practice spelling words.

Pictures that the students randomly deal out and make a story.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 13, 2011

I only do centers on Friday (I do a modified version of the daily 5 the rest of the week), but I usually have something like play-doh spelling, or 10-important sentences from the story we read (I cut sentence strips-abut 10, of the most important sentences and the students have to find them in the story and glue them on drawing paper in order). For math, every time I add a new activity, it stays in there. I have a clock, a balance, maps, flashcards, file folder games, etc.

5. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jan 16, 2011

6. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jan 16, 2011

What is your focus in math right now?

They could do some word wall activities in a literacy station. They could roll a letter cube and whichever letter it lands on, they have to write a word from the word wall that starts with that letter. They could stamp it, write it in a rainbow words kind of way, etc.

7. mrscheese

mrscheese New Member

Feb 8, 2011

I've made some match it gameboards out of bristol board and put 22 rectangles. Then I laminated it. I've made number cards and dotted dice cards for it and they have to play a game of concentration. If they get the matching duo they keep them and have another turn. You can also match up letters, upper case to uppercase and lower case to lower case as well as a mixture. You can do sight words as well. This lends itself to a lot of different things to match. Maybe beginning sounds, chunks, contractions etc. I laminated everything so I only have to make it once!!!! I hear you about the time involved in making these games for them to spend 5-10 minutes playing them!!!!!