Centers vs Daily 5

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by VANewbie, Jul 31, 2010.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 31, 2010

Which do you prefer and which do you recommend?

I teach first and have always used centers but I hear all the time on here how Daily 5 maybe the way to go.

Daily 5 seems a bit simpler. But they are working alone I assume and in centers they work in groups of 2-4 students.

Can you do a combination of centers and Daily 5?

I have all of my centers set up but at some point in the year they start to get a bit boring for the kids because it is hard to come up with more. I also feel that with school starting in a few weeks Daily 5 will not be something I can implement this year since I don't know too much about it.

Can you start with centers and then switch to Daily 5?

I know there is a book that talks all about this but I wanted to come here first.

Sorry for all the questions but it would be helpful if you could answer all of them for me.

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 31, 2010

I know there are a lot of Daily 5 fans here and I admit I've never even read the book much less tried it. The benefit to workstations as I see it are:

1) the kids can discuss what they are learning-there's nothing like hearing a pair discover that the word "snow" has a silent "w"! :)

2) they are getting hands-on practice-the only part of the Daily 5 the way I understand it, is during word study. I think it's really important for the kids to be able to move around, manipulate, practice, discover.

I use that fccr website a lot for workstation materials-just print laminate and go. I rotate the manipulatives often-so they are still practicing their spelling words but one day it's dry erase boards, next it's letter magnets, letter tiles, alphabet lego's, etc. They are working with different things every day and if they are bored with one, I retire it for awhile.

4. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2010

I really use Daily 5 for the management tips.

5. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 31, 2010

I love centers. I just hear so many people talking about Daily 5 and it seems like an easier way to do things. Its hard for me to come up with many centers.

6. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2010

I keep the same centers all year... the selection of books at the listening center change... the poems at poetry change... activity at word work change... but the centers stay.

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 31, 2010

I don't mind putting a little work into something that I find to be so effective. Easier for the teacher doesn't always mean better for the kids! ;)

I know some people who tried workstations and didn't like it (I still don't think they really gave it a college try). I work with one teacher who wants complete silence when the kids work-I love hearing the kids talk about what they are learning and it's so much fun for them. I don't mind that healthy buzz in the room.

8. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2010

I agree. So much of learning is social! I learn much more by talking to others at workshops than just to listen to the presenter.

9. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 31, 2010

Yes. I agree that the students should be able to talk/whisper but sometimes it get out of hand.

Let me put it this way...its a bit easier to teach quiet when they are taking a test-easy to teach whisper when reading with a partner but hard to teach talk quietly when I am working at my GR table. I hate having to stop to tell the students to lower their voices.

10. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 31, 2010

Do you have them work in pairs? I find the less kids in a group the more productive they are. I have a rainstick that I just turn over when it starts to get too loud-they know that means to work more quietly.

11. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2010

Also in the very beginning of the year we talk about appropriate noise level. Before I actually start meeting with groups, they are in stations. If it gets too noisy, we regroup and go over what went wrong and how it should sound. Then they go back to their stations.
    Also, I had really engaged kids last year and they really were working. I find that kids talk louder when they're not talking about their thinking.

12. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Aug 1, 2010

I used the daily 5 last year, but I think that this year I am going to use a combination of that and centers. My kids love structure and routine, but I felt that towards the end of the year they were starting to get bored with the Daily 5, and it started to fall apart a bit. The sisters do have some advice for what to do when it starts to happen, but I didn't try it out. I think giving them a little more variety might help out.

I have tons of games from Lakeshore that I would like to allow the kids some time to use, as well as play on the Smartboard, because I have so many websites and games I would like them to give a try (that also work on grammar skills that we don't have a lot of time to practice).

As Lynnnn said, I absolutely love the set-up and behavior management for the Daily 5. The modeling is great. I didn't follow the 5-6 week set-up that was recommended (mine was definitely shorter), but it still worked great! I also didn't allow choice... I assigned them each their station. I also didn't use all the minilesson time, but I'm thinking about doing that this year. Five mini lessons sounds way better than two long ones before reading groups, but it all depends on scheduling, and whether I can keep to that schedule!

13. AKitchin

AKitchin Companion

Aug 1, 2010

I do both. Im in fifth grade and a lot of the Daily 5 is geared toward primary. Ive adapted it and it was working well last year. My kids loved the pracitce for stamina part of read to self, they never really got the hang of silent reading at their desks, with the choice of somewhere in the room and the fact that they had to "pick and stick" they became readers!

My daily 5, or (5-4-5 as I called it, because the "little kids" did daily 5) is:
    1. Read to Self
    2. Read with Someone (that is hard in 5th, we're still ironing out the kinks)
    3. Writing (journaling, writing prompt)
    4. Center Worksheet (last year we had must do practice worksheets... I dont know about this year)
    5. Creative Center (this was the more hands on center activities)

14. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 1, 2010

I think after looking it up more I will stick with centers. I will have to come up with different ways to keep them exciting.

15. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Aug 1, 2010

You might want to check out the peony room over at proteacher...It's a board specifically for the daily 5 and they may be able to answer some of your questions...This will be my first year trying it.

16. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Aug 2, 2010

To answer your original question, I bought the book The Daily Five this summer and read it. I am planning on combining the "Daily Five" with some work stations. I cannot see doing the Daily Five exactly the way they suggest in the book. I think everyone has to do what is comfortable for them or else it won't be as effective. My "stations" will be:
    1. reading response journal
    2. IDR (Independent Daily Reading)
    3. Listen to Reading
    4. Word Work
    5. Poetry
    6. Pocket Chart
    Students will rotate in pairs through 3 of these a day. I figure that the extra stations: poetry and pocket chart, can be replaced throughout the year with something else as needed for variety. The other ones stay as I feel they should be "core" stations that students are practicing almost if not daily.

17. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Aug 2, 2010

I don't think I will be allowing choice either and I was planning on doing my one reading mini lesson and then writing later during writers workshop. I'm glad to know that worked out for you last year.

18. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 2, 2010

I just purchased the Daily 5 book this summer. I admit I have not opened it yet but plan to. :)

I have done centers (literacy) in a class of 32 second graders with no assistant.

I use them solely as the way to meet with guided reading groups.

I agree it's cool to watch the kids interact and problem solve socially too. :)

My take on Centers:

1. They absolutely positively HAVE TO be meaningful.

2. The children must have some sort of accountability in their center.

3. The children must learn to use a "inside voice" during centers. I have a class of 32 second graders. You can imagine how quickly a dull roar can arise!!!

4. If you have an assistant, use him/her to meet with another group or rotate during centers to ensure the children are "on task."

5. If a child is unsure or needs help, he or she must "ask 3 before me."

I have a love/hate relationship with Centers. I really like the fact that the kids are able to do independent activities while I work in small groups.

Second grade can read directions (very well at the end) at centers as well. :)

I have more tattling during centers than any other time of the day, including recess. They talk to the tattle frog... write it up in the "Things Mrs. W. needs to know ASAP" book, etc... :dizzy:

At my new school I will only have 18-25 kids. :) So I am interested to see how centers run in a smaller class. We shall see!

I am now inspired to go read Daily 5.... after Dr. Phil...! :D

19. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2010

I would highly suggest reading the d5 book and then finding a way to use it that works for you. I use it w/ our Treasures series and centers.

20. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2010

The part I love about Daily 5 is that it allows me to work one on one with a child or work with small groups and not have any interruptions. The kids keep working independently. When I had centers, they needed me so much more.

I also like not grading so much paper work.

There is still a lot of socialization in my classroom, just not so much at literacy time.

21. hawkteacher

hawkteacher Comrade

Aug 2, 2010

IMO, choice truly is one of the key factors to success with Daily 5. It's not a free for all, it's very controlled, but students still get to feel independent and in control of their learning. So, if you've used Daily 5 in the past without choice or are considering using it, please try it with choice - I don't think you'll regret it!

22. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Aug 2, 2010

Iheartrecess, what grade do you teach? I am also planning on implementing D5 and use treasures as well!

23. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2010

Well said and I completely agree.

24. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Aug 3, 2010

I have used centers/stations the 10 years that I've been teaching. I'm set to go! The only thing I don't like about the centers is grading them. Now, I don't grade ALL. Only a select few that I feel need a grade or if we're working on a specific skill. Still, I DISLIKE checking for complete/incomplete centers. I check them because they have to be held accountable for them--otherwise, they mess around and get in trouble or do nothing at all.

I did buy the D5 and am hoping I can incorporate both ideas.:rolleyes:

25. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2010

How will you hold your D5 kiddos accountable, GD2BQN? Just wondering...

26. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Aug 3, 2010

I have no clue!! But I'll let ya' know as soon as I read the book!:p

27. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 3, 2010

I just spent 2 days with the sisters learning about Daily 5 and CAFE. I love Daily 5 more now than I ever have. :D It's just such a practical way of teaching literacy. If you read the books (and especially if you see sisters speak), you'll wonder how there is really any other way.

28. minimar1

minimar1 Rookie

Aug 3, 2010

I am a BIG FAN of learning stations. In the beginning I worked a lot on making different centers throughout the year, but fortunately with the time I have learned to make my life easier. (There are lots of printable resources online that you can assemble into file folder games easily and this way have a great variety). Some online resources I use are ebay and sites like learningcenterworld.com or you may just google up "learning centers" and you will get tons of results.

I just think one thing does not necessarily excludes the other. Daily 5 can be used during your reading/language arts time, and centers can be at the end of the day, combining activities from different subjects, not only reading.

29. Ambrosegirl84

Ambrosegirl84 Companion

Aug 5, 2010

After reading these posts, I am seriously considering Daily 5 as a way to "divide" my classroom (I'll have a first grader, a third grader, and two fourth graders). So the 1st grader can work independently while I teach the older kids and vice versa. I did centers my first year, with mostly the same grades, but found that they did get "old" and the kids started to "sluff-off" a bit, turning in less-than-ideal work from the centers.

30. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Aug 5, 2010

So..........I can't read the book for a bit because my lovely dog Zola decided to pull the book from my couch to catch up on her Daily 5 reading. :lol:

31. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 5, 2010

rofl!