Centers that you only make small changes to

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 5, 2008

Can you name for me different types of reading, math, and other centers for intermediate grades where you rarely have to change the materials? I have a few centers that never change like SRA, FCAT Explorer, and The Astonishing Journey of Teddy Bodain (a new novel with activities by Melissa Forney). Yet maybe out of my 8-10 centers, I can incorporate a few more "never-to-rarely-changing" centers.

3. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Aug 6, 2008

I know you teach older students, but what about the Daily 5 concept? The five centers are:
    Listening
    Read to someone
    Read to self
    Writing
    Word work

I used these and they were great! I changed the books I loaded on the player for listening, and taught different word work centers throughout the year. The rest is pretty easy!

Check http://www.jmeacham.com/centers/centers.htm She teaches first, but check the reading and writing options.... They should be modifiable!

4. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

How about reading, writing, listening, games and puzzles, spelling, poetry...

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 6, 2008

I usually have a spelling center because time is too short to teach it explicitly everyday, so they do practice activities in centers. I also use vocabulary centers to reinforce things like prefixes, suffixes, homographs, etc.

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 6, 2008

Spelling is okay... there can be a list of things to do with spelling words in a center, and the kids can have a choice.

I may even not do spelling homework this year as much and just have the students do the spelling practice in a center.