Centers: How to teach them?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by teacher_ajw86, Jul 16, 2010.

1. teacher_ajw86

teacher_ajw86 Rookie

Jul 16, 2010

Hello fellow teachers. I am a new kindergarten teacher and I am really unsure how to go about teaching my students about centers and how to incorporate them. Suggestions would be great. Once we testdrive and get past the learning stage I plan to have 10 centers a week and each student visit two a day. (Other suggestions welcomed). Mostly, I just need to know how you do the prep work of teaching centers and how quickly you introduce each one etc.

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 16, 2010

The first few weeks I will introduce them for the kids to explore with only. You will go over basic rules whole group-don't throw the blocks, etc. but other than that they are just "playing" with them. As you start teaching objectives you are adding structured activities to the workstations. Introduce patterns-do the activity as a presentation whole group, then I let the kids partner up and do it with a buddy on the carpet. We make an "I can" list as a class (the kids come up with great ideas of things we can do there). Then, it's added to a workstation.

My kids work in 2's but I personally don't rotate them (I know a lot of people do that). I like to be able to call over the individual students I need to work with in small group. They go from station to station as they complete the activities-it's their choice of whatever's open.

4. MrsM7

MrsM7 Rookie

Jul 16, 2010

Two books that might help you are Literacy Work Stations by Debbie Diller and The Daily 5 by the two sisters. I don't do Daily 5 exactly like the book but like how they introduce and practice each choice.

5. Kindergarten

Kindergarten Rookie

Jul 16, 2010

I introduce my students to centers slowly, starting with only 2-3 and working my way up to 6-8 centers a day. Before I let them start going to centers, I go over what each center is, the activity that is there, and then I always show them an example. My children are free to move centers once they complete the activity (they come to me and I "sign off" letting them know it is ok to move to an open seat). They take their work folder around with them and put it under their chair when they are working at a center - that way if they have to go to the bathroom, nurse, etc. students know that seat is NOT open since their is a folder underneath. Saves problems with "I was here first!"

6. teacher_ajw86

teacher_ajw86 Rookie

Jul 16, 2010

When our kids come to you doesn't that interrupt your guided reading groups?

7. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2010

I taught one at a time.

Talk about what it should look like and what it should sound like.

Model! Model! Model!

Have kids role play the right and the wrong way to use the center.