Centers How do you do them?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by fiskeda, Jun 2, 2010.

1. fiskeda

fiskeda Rookie

Jun 2, 2010

During my end of the year meeting i was told I need to do more centers.... i realy don't know what they want me to change...I teach a two day preschool 2.5 -3.5 year olds so thy are young.. I the preson that did my Evluation was not the the one doing my year end meeting.....

What do you do?

Dana:)

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jun 2, 2010

I've worked centers a number of different ways... mostly depending upon the group I've taught at the time and the school/center I've been in.

Assuming you have your room set up with interst centers (block area, dramatic play area, manipulatives, art area, etc)...

Way #1: All centers are open, children have freedom to choose what they want to play with and for how long. Some teachers have ways of denoting how many children are allowed to play in a particular area, others don't specify and just let the kids work it out. I've been known to pull individuals or pairs to work on something or assess a skill during this time- the kids get VERY used to it.

Way #2: A few "teacher-directed" centers, the rest independent... maybe teacher table is a math project and an art activity, the children might be allowed to choose from blocks, writing, library, puzzles, and bean-stringing. The children are free to choose from the "open" activities as long as they get to the taecher projects- either by their choice or because they've come when the teacher has called them.

Way #3: 5 (or howevermany, 5 works well for a class of 20) centers are set up... each teacher/aide has one, the rest are independent. For instance: teacher-directed math activity, aide-led art activity, table blocks, puppet theater, and writing. Groups are assigned a table to start with and they rotate together- blocks goes to math, math goes to art, art goes to puppet show, puppet show goes to writing, writing goes to blocks.

Those are different ways I've run them based upon the group of kids i have and what the expectations are of where I've been teaching. All can work well once the kids know the expectations.

4. annetxa

annetxa Rookie

Jun 2, 2010

I am actually taking a course on Learning Centers through Care Courses which has been really informative. It may give you some ideas.

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 2, 2010

The person evaluating you needs to give you more info on what she means. Do you need to have more centers, or more activities within the centers?

Clar explained centers very nicely. What centers do you have?

6. fiskeda

fiskeda Rookie

Jun 3, 2010

I do all the centers that have been said... I just need to ask her what she wants...

7. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Jun 3, 2010

This is how we do centers at our preschool.

8. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jun 3, 2010

I have heard the word "centers" used (in my opinion the wrong way) as a way to distinguish between "interest areas" (blocks, art, science) and table work that works on literacy or math specific goals (weights and balances, matching, or most often letter magnet activities). I don't like it when the officals use the word this way........I am for letters but too much focus on them pulls it from the other "centers" or "interest areas".

Anyway........that is my peeve about officals in my area and the "word".