Centers / Help

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissT34, Aug 13, 2012.

1. MissT34

MissT34 Companion

Aug 13, 2012

Hi everyone..
    I really want to implement centers in my classroom this year, and I've been researching info online but I'm still not 100% positive on how to start out.

A lot of the sites I've been on explain how to do literacy centers, the rotations, management, etc. However I still have several questions that I really hope someone can help me out with:

Are centers done daily, once a week, a few days a week, or is it up to the teacher's discretion? What works best based on your experiences with centers in the past?

Instead of having all students working on literacy, can you do different centers at one time? For example, the groups would be: Teacher Center, Writing Center, Math Center, and Reading/ELA Center.. Would this work or do all students have to be working on one skill (literacy) and rotate tasks?

Also, I've read that the students usually rotate to two or three centers every 20minutes, but is it possible to have them in their centers for 30-45 minutes and they rotate daily? In other words, Monday: Teacher Center, Tuesday: Writing, Wednesday: Math, Thursday: Reading

I plan on have a folder for each student, labeled with a different colored star, depending on their levels, and they'd be rotating based on their star color...

I hope I'm making sense! If not, I'd appreciate any info/advice you all have on how to start these centers in my classroom.. Thank you in advance!!

3. Kinderfriend

Kinderfriend Rookie

Aug 14, 2012

4. MissT34

MissT34 Companion

Aug 14, 2012

thanks! i will look into it :)