center work

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by teacherfan, Jul 13, 2010.

1. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Jul 13, 2010

I see lots of posts about centers....Here's mine :)

What do you have your kids do during centers? Worksheets, educational games, writing? I just never feel like I am giving them enough meaniful work.

Thanks!

3. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jul 20, 2010

I do some Daily 5 centers during my reading groups. They read to self, word work, work on writing, and listening center. The word work and writing are the only places that they are producing work. For my word work program, we use Words Their Way workbooks. So they do the sort and the activity that go along with that. Daily 5 is nice because it doesn't require any physical prep (just introducing the centers and practicising them at the beginning of the year). I try to rarely use worksheets for anything.

4. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 20, 2010

Reading: an activity they complete in their journals about the current story.

Spelling: A spelling worksheet followed by a spelling activity (write words in ABC order, choose words to illustrate, etc.)

Computers: preselected activities related to concepts for the week and posted to our class website for easy access

That's what I did last year. Not too exciting, I know =(

5. JTeach619

JTeach619 Companion

Jul 20, 2010

This will be my first year teaching second grade (I previously taught third). I make an "I Can" list for each workstation (as per Debbie Diller) to give the students choices. Some things I've done are:

Spelling: Stamp your words, write your words in rainbow colors, give your partner a pretend spelling test

Writing: Make a top ten list, write a friendly letter to a character we've read about, work on this week's writing

Computers: Take and AR test, Riverdeep, Gizmos, Starfall

Listening: Listen to a book and illustrate favorite part

Pocket Chart: Grammar activities

I got a lot of my ideas from Debbie Diller's books. They are a great resource!

6. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Jul 24, 2010

Centers has always been a struggle for me. So, I keep it simple.

Computers: the students go to starfall.com and listen to stories and work on their phonics skills

Word Work: students practice writing their spelling words on wipe boards as well as use magnetic letters to spell words out based on the word patterns we learned that week

Listening Center: student listens to a story, then they draw a picture and write a sentence or two about their favorite part

Fluency Center: student whisper reads either with a buddy or to a stuffed animal and then fills out my book review sheet and puts it in the box for the next student to check out

Writing Center: students choose one of the topics i've placed in the box, glue it to their journal page and write on it, write letters, paragraphs, whatever the writing skill is for that week, and i allow early finishers to write "diary" like entries in their journal about their feelings. i try to read them once a week

7. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 24, 2010

Here are mine (Reading First)
    Vocabulary: 5 different activities for each day such as triangle vocabulary, vocabulary game, using vocab. correctly in sentences

Fluency: practicing reading--phrases, word flash cards, books, fluency game

Comprehension: various activities for last week's story (which I don't agree with so I'm going to change it for the current week's story)

Decodable Text: we have little books for the kids to practice reading and highlight the current phonics rule for the week. They also write them down in their notebooks.

Phonics: various activities using weekly spelling words

Fridays I usually pull out fun Reading games and put them in the appropriate centers.

8. minimar1

minimar1 Rookie

Jul 30, 2010

My kids usually work on portable centers with file folder games and other educational games. The only fixed centers I have are the listening center and the computers.

For the portable centers, I use plastic bins in which I put some books for the kids to read, several file folder games and if it is a holiday I also include some cut and paste activities about the holiday we are celebrating.