center transitions

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by lotusblossom, Aug 23, 2008.

1. lotusblossom

lotusblossom Companion

Aug 23, 2008

we have a 60 minute literacy block every morning. i am going to use this time to meet with small groups for guided reading while the other children do centers.

i am doing 15 minute blocks of time and so far i have not introduced the reading group part of it. we've just practiced a couple centers a day, adding more.

what i'm noticing is a real problem w/ the clean up and transition. i am helping a LOT and when reading groups truly start, i will not be able to help so much.

any thoughts on how to streamline the clean up and transition?

i'm also wondering if 3 20 minute rotations might be better? or, maybe giving students a choice of 3 centers per day and let them self-regulate which ones they choose to do out of those 3? the timer would go off and they could choose to pack up and move or continue w/ that center? (my worry is crowding/fighting at centers if i give them this much freedom, i also worry about my kids choosing challenging enough centers)

3. fuzzybunnie

fuzzybunnie Rookie

Aug 24, 2008

I find that 3 20-minute rotations work better, if that's workable with your reading groups.

Until reading groups start, how about taking a few minutes at the beginning of each rotation to model cleaning up, perhaps having some students volunteer to show how it should be done? Or designating "captains" who are responsible for overseeing clean-up. They can take turns and rotate, or you can pick responsible students and make it an earned job.

There are so many ways of managing centers, and how you do transitions depends on how you have it all set up. I use the "let my aide figure it out" method: she knows all the groups and she remembers who's done what, and when the timer goes off she tells each group where to go. What will I do when she leaves me?:(

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 24, 2008

Lol...Fuzzy, I was thinking, "What does she do when the Aide is absent!"

5. Lilly4

Lilly4 Rookie

Aug 24, 2008

The way I got my kids to clean up better was by telling them after switching stations to check the station before they begin. If something is not in place they will then need to go get the person who was there before them (look at chart if they don't know) and have them clean it up first. After the last station rotation, kids have to raise their hands and I have to check each stations which takes a minute or two. If a child says "I didn't make that mess" I tell them they should have noticed earlier and had the person before them clean their mess up. It worked great! :)