Center Sign ... Housekeeping or Dramatic Play?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by mom2girl0309, Aug 11, 2011.

1. mom2girl0309

mom2girl0309 Rookie

Aug 11, 2011

In one of my centers I will have a kitchen set up, baby dolls with a crib and stroller, dress up - should I label this center "housekeeping" or "dramatic play" ?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2011

"Housekeeping" sounds like maid's work.

"Dramatic Play" makes it sound so much more exciting, and doesn't sound as though it's "women's work."

How about "Home life"??? Throw in some of the tools typically found in a home-- a screwdriver, a hammer, maybe a workbench-- for the times when the mommy or daddy has to fix something.

4. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 11, 2011

I call it dramatic play for the reasons Alice gave you. I also change it out so that it turns into different things. It has been camping and so on. When I was having the ECERS done it wasn't a home life set up and it was marked down. She stated each room had to have a home life. I didn't agree, but it was one of only two marks I received. I would say mark it dramatic play and change it up.....then see what the policy is.

5. mom2girl0309

mom2girl0309 Rookie

Aug 11, 2011

Thanks - I'm going to label it dramatic play and incorporate different things at different times. My youngest has a bag full of play tools that I will rotate in and out. Having two daughters, I'm sadly lacking in "boy" dress up stuff (I hate boy/girl labels but princess dresses are most definitely girls :lol: *most of the time*) so I'm going to have to find some stuff (we do have a darth vader costume but it's sized for a 7 year old and my oldest DD won't let me use it :lol: We also have batman playsets that I will cycle in and out as well
    :thanks:

6. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2011

It's called Dramatic Play because the children can be many things in this area. Your lessons might be about "flowers," and it becomes a flower shop. Whatever you are teaching, this area can coincide with the theme. That's the "Drama" part of it. It's not always about a home with mommies or daddies, etc.

7. srawolf

srawolf Rookie

Aug 15, 2011

We actually call that area "Performance" and like others have said it doesn't just have to be a house. I've done a pirate ship, grocery, salon, etc...

I like "performance" because it connects that type of play with the performing arts which is really what the children are doing in that area.

8. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 15, 2011

dramatic play. I pretty much always have the sink/counter playset area, because I don't have anywhere to put it if I take it out of the room, and it's the "boundary" for the area.

BUT we don't always have food/dress-up clothes. IN fact, food and dishes weren't out for probably over half the year last year. I'm not starting with food this year until they can put away the clothes correctly.

In the spring, I had a big teepee up (I call it a tent) and hung butterfly die cuts inside. We had flowers on the windowsill and I put insect hats where the dress-up clothes usually go. They were hinting for butterflies. :)

grocery store, doctor or vet's office, pet shop, flower store, American Idol stage (somebody that that last year I think)... it can be lots of things... so dramatic play is a better term :)