Center Schedules

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by auburngrad, Aug 20, 2006.

1. auburngrad

auburngrad New Member

Aug 20, 2006

I'm new to this posting thing with atoz, but I need some help. I'm trying to wrap my brain around centers for my third grade classroom. But my brain gets overloaded and shuts down. I have lots of ideas for centers, but need ideas on how the "big picture" should look. How do I do centers and get my core instruction in?

HELP!!!:confused: :confused:

3. turtlegirl

turtlegirl Companion

Aug 20, 2006

First things first....... step back and breathe.....it will all come together...
    Think of centers as an extension of your core... I used to use my centers as the independent part of some of my core......

for example if you have access to computers in your room have them type their spelling words for centers.... I even do this in partners... the computer can be an easy center esp. since they love the computer and most of them in 3rd can use it with little to no help

think simple.....
    I keep with 3 centers... Wordwork(spelling, phonics) Writing and Art (which i sometimes turn into Math) Whatever I am teaching in my ELA is what i use to do these centers and in First grade your SS and science are mostly blended into your ELA anyway...

Good luck and Happy Birthday!

4. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 20, 2006

I also have a very old typewriter (bought it at Goodwill) that I allow children to type their spelling words and word family words into :) They love it! Plus, the ink is really cheap :p

I redid my centers over the weekend so I have: computers (they could do phonics type things here, type up stories, listen to a story online, do math games, etc. the list is endless), listening center, writing center (filled with different types of writing utensils, paper, etc.), Library (put some beanbags or chairs in it with an area rug), Word Study/Spelling Center (these often revolve around the word families for me), a Phonics Center (whichever skills we're working on), Buddy Reading, Independent Reading (I bought two chairs for this one and a basket filled with books), Read/Write the Room, and of course, Guided Reading with me :p

5. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 20, 2006

Oh by the way, happy birthday :p

6. turtlegirl

turtlegirl Companion

Aug 20, 2006

;) oh yeah... i forgot that i also do listening, buddy reading, library and the other things corp said.... i am still in summer mode...i need to air out my brain