Center Rotations

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SleekTeach, Jun 25, 2014.

1. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jun 25, 2014

This year I will only have Math Center Rotations, and if by some miracle, I might have Science centers at one point. I will be teaching 1st grade this year. What are some of the ways people set up centers and get students into groups. I've seen some teachers have like 10 stations and set it up to where each student had a sheet that told them where to go. I've also seen some classroom charts. Also how can you quickly decide how to group the students? I only teach Math and Science so I have two classes. I anticipate at least 25 students per class, so I'm thinking groups of 5. I want something that can be put up on a poster or pocket chart that the kids will easily be able to follow when I'm out (My district has lots of professional development during the school day so I know I'll be out.)

Any tips will be welcome. I've been doing as much planning as I can because I have vacation in July, and that Jay-Z/Beyonce concert lol

Also, if there are some must have centers for math that you think I should have.

I plan on doing centers the very first day of school because our entire first week is just a review of Kindergarten and I have a feeling my students will not even need the refresher so we will be done with our lessons quickly.

Thanks Teachers!:thumb:

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 25, 2014

Are you meeting with leveled groups at that time? If so, I would definitely make sure your workstation rotation was also leveled that way. Otherwise it gets confusing. I would refrain from pairing high-low anyway because usually neither really gets the practice they need when that happens.

I always just use a chart. You can use a basic pocket chart with cards with their pics/station names and just rotate them.

If you are starting the first day, I would recommend that you just let them explore with the materials for a little while. I usually model activities for at least a week before I add them as a station.

4. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jun 25, 2014

Yes, I forgot to mention that one of the stations will be a teacher table where I plan to meet with children who are on the same level. Obviously on the first few days I won't have them in those same level groups. I guess maybe on the first day I could use that time with a few students to quickly assess them and see who they should be working with.

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 25, 2014

The first few days I literally just put the counters, blocks, etc. out on their tables and let them "play" with them. They need some time just to get used to your system and expectations.

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 25, 2014

I have 4-5 in a group, 5 groups and 5 basic stations. Each station has a color and I rotate their names on a list under the colors. I write the names on a laminated paper with via a via marker and erase as needed. My shelves and baskets are color coded the same color they are on for the day. I have morning literacy stations and afternoon math stations. Within each station I have 3-4 choices of what to do in that station. Usually each station has a theme - shapes, counting, addition, teen numbers, etc...(these themes change over the year depending on what they've learned/need to practice). One of the choices is a game, either a lakeshore type game or something from TPT. Another activity might be something fun from a previous lesson, and the third activity is a lakeshore type activity or file folder game. I group for getting along well for the most part and pull kids as needed.

7. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jun 25, 2014

I like the sound of that especially for when they are all getting there on the first day...I'm just a little worried they will get out of hand if I don't immediately try to give them some structure. My school serves an apartment complex so these kids all know each other very well and are comfortable playing rough and talking. I won't have that initial shyness of students that is typical with other groups of kids.

8. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jun 25, 2014

I like your system, I worry that my groups are going to have to be set up by who can get along with each other.