Center Rotation Management Ideas

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Pannsx4, May 14, 2007.

1. Pannsx4

Pannsx4 Rookie

May 14, 2007

Does anyone have a rotation plan for literacy centers? I am looking for any ideas and how you communicate the rotation schedule to the students. Pictures would be great of your pocket chart, etc.

Thank you!!

PS I am a fifth grade.

3. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

May 19, 2007

I'm a K teacher (and I don't have any pictures) so this may or may not be applicable to you. But I do centers twice a day (literacy centers in the a.m. and math/science centers in the pm) and even my kindergartners can independently find their center and rotate through the centers.

I have 9 literacy centers. They are numbered and I have the numbers posted around the room at the actual center as well as numbers on index cards in a pocket chart. I have my students' names on sticks (tongue depressors) so I can easily mix up the groups week to week. The sticks are simply put in the pocket chart next to whatever center I want them to start at. When it is time to start centers, they just have to find their name in the pocket chart to see what center they are going to. We rotate through the centers (2 or 3 a day until they have done all of them). When the timer rings to note it is time to change centers, they just clean up and move to their next center (in numeric order). The centers are roughly arranged in a circle around the room. I do not switch the cards in the chart between centers. They know where to go and I am busy reading with students. I do switch the cards at the end of the day (or the next morning) to remind students which center they will be starting at that day.

For afternoon centers, we only have 6 and usually just do 2 a day. I have student names on notecards (the names of all group members are on the same card) and I put them next to center icons in the cart. The icons include a picture of a computer, a picture of a paintbrush, scissors and a glue bottle for our art center, etc. The center icons are not posted around the room, but they know where each center is (things like computers are obvious, of course). With these centers, I do not move anything in the chart in the middle of center time. I only move the name cards before we start centers the following day.

Don't know if any of that makes sense or helps you, but there it is!

4. NCP

NCP Comrade

May 19, 2007

My chart

I teach second and here is my chart:
    [​IMG]

Each day the name cards move one space to the right. On Fridays we have catch up time or a fun art project. Each child has a seatwork assignment for the day and then 1-2 centers.

5. MollyT

MollyT Companion

May 20, 2007

NCP - i love your chart - can you tell me what each of the activities is - i cant quite read some of them.

6. NCP

NCP Comrade

May 20, 2007

Sure, I use the icons from Fontas and Pinell. Some of the ones on the chart include:
    * Browsing box - I have buckets in my library that match the kids reading groups colors.
    * Handwriting: The kids choose 5 sight words each week and write them 3x each.
    * Reading Journal: The kids read a book and write a journal entry about it, or about a book we have read together.
    * Poetry Center: This center depends, sometimes there is a poem to copy into our journals, sometimes they glue it in and illustrate, and sometime they put it in order in the pocket chart.
    * Letter Writing: We have a school wide postal system where the kids can write letters to one another and mail them. I have paper, envelopes, letter forms, etc here for them to do. Occasionally I tell them who they will write to. This can be a specials teacher, your teacher from last year, the principal, or an author.
    * Read the Room
    * Scholastic News: Our PTO funded this for us so I use it as a center.
    * Listening Center: Listen and then a response activity.
    * Buddy and Independent Reading
    * Workbook: Last year I used a workbook as seatwork. This year the icon says seatwork and I use a lot of other stuff for comprehension, graphic organizers, etc.
    I have some other centers that are not on the chart also.

7. mhirsch

mhirsch Companion

May 20, 2007

I don't rotate students but teach them to make choices about which activity they are going to. It takes a bit more time to set up but pays off in dividends later. This podcast helped me a lot in setting that up... http://www.independentworktime.com