Center Organization

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by flowerpower31, Jul 5, 2010.

1. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Jul 5, 2010

I plan to use my centers during reading group time. I have 3 reading groups, so each group will have two time periods for centers. I'm planning to have the kids do a different center for each time period. I'm looking for an idea for how to keep track of who goes to what center and when. Any suggestions? :help:

3. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 5, 2010

I had 2 methods, which I used simultaneously. I had 2 classes, so keeping track of centers was difficult.

1) I used a pocket chart with the centers (on index cards) running down the left side towards the bottom. The center cards stayed put, I moved the kids' names down one slot when it was a rotation day. I had more than 3 centers, but it looked like this:

Writing Mary, Bob, Billy
    Reading Frankie, Judy, Cindy
    Fluency Susie, Mike, Jonny (I had all 3 kid's names on a card - groups rotated together)

2) I made a long, skinny chart using excel and laminated it. It basically said:
    Center 1 day 1
    Center 1 day 2
    Center 2 Day 1
    Center 2 Day 2
    And so on.

I think I have it on my computer if you want it, PM me. I used a clothes pin to keep track of which day we were on.

I hope this makes any sense whatsoever.

4. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Jul 5, 2010

My students used a check sheet that we stapled onto their center folder. It let my students keep track. Might be a bit advanced for your little ones. I have a copy available if you want it.

Also I had a powerpoint I created (which I can't find) That I would show on my TV. Id plan it out a week in advance so I just flipped slides for the kids.

5. lovemyjob

lovemyjob Rookie

Jul 6, 2010

I use a pocket chart also. But I don't move the students I just rotate the centers. I have the centers down the left with the students to the right next to their center. When its time to rotate I move the the center card. This is easier for me than moving each person.:)

6. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Jul 6, 2010

Thanks! I found a checklist type idea that I think I'm going to use in their folders. Instead of it being a checklist, though (since they're little), I'm gonna have the name of each center in a box and they color the box in when they go to that center. Thanks again for your ideas!