Center ideas??

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by lotusblossom, Feb 25, 2008.

1. lotusblossom

lotusblossom Companion

Feb 25, 2008

I am a first year teaching and running low on my center ideas!

I need something for the art center that is fun, unique (we've done watercolor, BINGO stampers, etc) but also quick to clean up. Bonus points if you know something I could do with my finger paints and finger paint paper that ISN'T as messy as finger painting is.

Ideas for writing? We just did "write the wall"

Thanks for any and ALL ideas!

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Feb 25, 2008

put paint in a baggie and seal it REALLY REALLY well... (hair gel also works). Kids practice writing letters/words/number/whatever by drawing on the bag with their finger.

I teach 3's and 4's, but they're really into making collages. We'll cut things out of magazines or just pull out the scrap box and let them go to town. They love it. We also do a variety of stamps and inkpads.

4. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Feb 26, 2008

Writing: sometimes I run the writing center and I give them a prompt and we brainstorm and each child then completes the prompt. LAst week we working on the letter Bb so I had blank books for them to use. I told them to write a story, sight words, letters etc..
    This week I have a bunch of writing supplies for them to use and be creative with.
    In the beginning of the school year I have alphabet wipe boards that I have the children use to practice writing their letters.

Next week for Dr. Suess week we are stamping words that end in AT in a "Cat in the Hat" hat.

In my reading center I usually do guided reading with them afterwards they have write to write a sentence. This week the story is about fruit. Afterwards they draw a picture of fruit they like and then write a word or sentence to go with it.

5. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Feb 26, 2008

I am doing a neat sight word/writing center this week. I printed out all of our sight words and some words I know the kids could decode and put them in empty water bottles that I filled 3/4 full with rice. The kids had to try and find the words in the rice by moving and gently shaking the bottle, they then wrote the words they found on paper with neat pens. They are LOVING it!

6. lotusblossom

lotusblossom Companion

Feb 26, 2008

Ooh, that is neat! What did you write the words on? (type of paper, did you laminate?) How many per bottle?

7. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Feb 26, 2008

Last year when I taught kinder, I had a book that had step-by-step directions on how to draw simple things (bear, person, flower, etc). I copied each step on to a note card and put it in a pocket chart. The students had to follow the directions and create the picture. They also had to to write a sentence about their picture. They loved this center!

8. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Feb 28, 2008

I just used Century Gothic type face and printed the words out at 20 point font. I put about 20 words in mine. I only fill the bottles with rice about 3/4 of the way so things jiggle well. No laminating, they do not touch the words, so they do not get messed up.

9. bakingdiva

bakingdiva Companion

Feb 28, 2008

That is a great idea! I am going to pass it along to my daughter's kinder teacher! :)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  10. soozabelle

soozabelle Rookie

Feb 28, 2008

I LOVE that idea! :)

I do something called "Words around the room" in our writing area. Whatever our letter of the week is, I give the kids a clipboard and paper with numbered lines on it and they find as many words as they can in the room that start with that letter. It really draws attention to the environmental print and they look through the books in the classroom library. They have even discovered the dictionary!

For art, you could put the paint in spray bottles and let the kids spray the paint on the paper. (You might need to water it down a little. Also if you put a couple drops of dish detergent in the paint it makes for easy clean up)

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Feb 28, 2008

Cut small pieces of yarn and out in a baggie. You can have the students spell known words/words from the room, or make templates for them to "trace" with the yarn.
    Finger paints - get cheap picnic squeeze bottles (like you use for mustard and ketchup) and let them spell out words by squeezing the bottles to write the letters. Most of our dollar stores sell them, so they are cheap & easy!
    Writing center - use file folders to make portable thematic word walls/word banks. You can use them in a writing center by picking things that your class likes. Write the name of the theme and draw or glue a picture on the front so they know which word bank is which. Brainstorm ideas for words they would need to write about that subject and write them on the folder, laminate and keep with the writing materials. You could do one a week on your weekly learning theme (if you have one) and one on their choice or something you know they would be interested it. It doesn't take long to build up a library to choose from!