Center ideas??

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by tm91784, Aug 19, 2006.

1. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Aug 19, 2006

Hello all,
    I am starting out the school year on the 28th for a preschool class of 3 and 4 yr old students. I need help developing centers. I want to have some mandatory (a math, language arts, writing activity) and some optional centers each day. I think that some of my centers will include math, writing, dramatic play, art, science/sensory, library, blocks, trucks, etc. I would like to know how you keep track of which students have visited each center. I am also welcome to any suggestions regarding centers in general.

3. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

Aug 20, 2006

My centers include:
    Sensory Table
    Easel
    Playdough
    Writing
    Language
    Computer
    Blocks
    Dramatic Play
    Math & Science
    Library
    Listening
    Dollhouse
    Small Group

I also have a center sign labeled "special". About every other week I use a big book and have props to go with it (flannel set, puppets, etc). I will put this in our circle area and make it a "special" center. Also on Friday's the children may play with show & tell items in the "special" circle area.

The way I do centers - I have my 18 children divided into 3 goups. I have a index size card with their picture and name for each child. I have three different colored pieces of poster board I put 6 children's cards on each. These always stay the same. At the bottom of each posterboard is a strip of velcro. I assign each group to two or three centers.

So, for example the green group has their choise for first rotation of doing writing center, language or playdough, red group can choose from math & science, blocks or computer, blie group is small group and when they are finished they may go to sensory table. So I'm giving them some choice, but selecting which centers I want them to choose from. So, we use 9 centers max each day. I'll assign 3 each and we do three rotations during center time.

I have to run, if you have any other questions, or if I wasn't clear, let me know.

4. benemma

benemma Rookie

Aug 20, 2006

This site is absolutely great for ideas!!!

Also, google preschool center ideas. There are tons of great books out there as well.

5. Ang5

Ang5 Rookie

Aug 21, 2006

Areas

At the school that I work at we have four centers Block( with soft blocks, leggos, wooden blocks, waffle blocks,play people,farm house and other materials), House area for the dramatic play (dress up cloths,play food, menues,cash registers,phones and other materials). We have also placed a writing table(area) where we have note pads, paper,envelops,post card, staplers,tape, markers, erasers, stickers, and other items that can be used in the writing center and this is all in the house area in a small corner where two children at a time can make use of this(we usually have them sign in or we use tickets). We also have the Quiet area where we have the manipulitive items, books, computer center, listening area, cozy center(with pillows,soft stuffed animals, picture book,and large books,small books), writing center,and science center all incorperated in this area. The forth area is the art area where we have the collage material, playdough or gak, pants, water table which sometimes we move it around to our quiet area with sensory items in it. The way we keep track of the children in the different area is we either use tickets, have them sign their names on a book, or when we plan with them we make a make believe train and there are only 3 children per area with colored tickets that can go to that area and when we go around the room they have to match their tickets to the color the area has for that day. Hope that this helps in some way.:)

6. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Aug 21, 2006

Thanks for the ideas!!! I'm starting to get my thoughts together!

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 21, 2006

Is it crucial that each child visit each center each day? If not, don't worry about it. The children will generaly choose what they need for development.

If you want them to acheive an assignment in each center, then you need to develop a system.

8. Lainie

Lainie Companion

Aug 21, 2006

I personally don't like having centers be mandatory. What we do is have an activity or two each day, and really encourage each child to visit the center where the activity is going on.

9. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Aug 21, 2006

I might just see how it goes. I just remember that when I student taught, some of my centers remained unused because they were not mandatory. We had mostly all optional centers. I liked having all optional, but I felt that some centers were chosen more than others. I guess my best option would be to narrow their choices so that every center is not open at all times.