Center help!!

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Ms.C teaches, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Ms.C teaches

Ms.C teaches Rookie

Sep 18, 2011

I'm teaching a k-2 mild/mod SDC class...literacy centers is the area I'm struggling in.

I have 13 students, some are mild while others are very moderate. I just can't get the center transitions to work smoothly. Currently, when the timer goes off, I have them clean up their station and get in line...then I call out which students go where. There must be an easier method to my centers so so much time is not wasted and students know where they need to go next.

Thank you for your suggestions!! :haha:

3. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Sep 18, 2011

My children are grouped (two types of groups, mixed ability and low to high ability (the latter I rarely use). They are grouped so that anyone who does not know where their group is can be guided to it. Also, I change groupings every term.

Once the timer goes in rotations the children stand behind their chair (with their hands on their heads to show me they are ready). Since these are 5 and 6 year olds we do a language/vocabulary exercise which might be "Where is your elbow, palm, forehead?" (we do start with easy body parts) or a rhyme. I tell them which activity each group is going to and to point (with a body part, eg, elbow, knee) to their next table. They might also move like a crab, a spider, on tip toe etc. The groups move in a clockwise direction around the room. They soon figure out the direction of movement and now (it being the end of the year) we don't do as much transitioning and the students know which table they are going to without being told. (We don't have individual desks but 2 tables put together which seat 6).

4. LifeSkills

LifeSkills Rookie

Sep 18, 2011

My kids are group by ability and they move through centers together. I have a First-Then chart in each center. The First picture is the center that they are in. The Then side has velcro and pictures of the next center that they are going to. I set them up before center time. The adult in the center gives them their picture and they use that to sign into the next center. I have 3 and 4 year olds and by the end of the year some of them were taking the picture off the First-Then board by themselves when they heard the transition signal.

5. Havoc

Havoc New Member

Sep 20, 2011

I would give them a visual schedule to carry with them... have one picture depicting each centre, fastened to a strip (like a sentence strip), so they know what's next - like a First Then, but if you have more than one centre, you'll have to put all centres that you want completed and in which order. Predictability and routine will help you tremendously! Put them on the schedule with velcro, so the students take the "centre picture" off the schedule when it's completed and then move onto the next centre on their schedule.... and so on. Instead of one timer telling them when to switch, you may need to do a count down, 5 minutes, 3 minutes, 1 minute... so they know the transition is coming up. Many of our kids cannot transition quickly and need warnings. Be careful of too many steps in your instructions, especially verbal instructions, some of our kids cannot process as fast or as many instructions as others. And if you have multiple instructions flying around the room, they may not know which one is theirs.
    Good Luck!!

6. Ms.C teaches

Ms.C teaches Rookie

Sep 20, 2011

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!! Yesterday and today I tried a First - Then card and it has worked so much better!!! :)