Center help

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Emily in K, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Emily in K

Emily in K Rookie

Sep 11, 2005

Hi everyone. I'm trying to come up with a good way for students to know what center they are supposed to be at and who is in their group. I have four groups (red, green, yellow, and blue). I was thinking of putting a colored bead on yarn for a necklace they can wear while we rotate through the centers. My TA seems to think that's not such a great idea because they'll play with it too much. Let me know if anyone has better suggestions. Thanks!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2005

The necklace idea could work- I think the kids would be busy enough and engaged enough in the centers to not be distracted by them.

I used velcro on popsicle sticks at each of my centers- kids would attach to the center sign and then take the stick with them as they rotated to new center.

Or have tables rotate together- they know who sits with them, so they know to stick together and travel as a group.

4. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 11, 2005

What I use is a pocket chart. Down the left side I put a picture of the center and next to each picture, I put the kids names who are in the center. Every day, I just move the picture down a spot. I change groups every week so I have a more heterogeneous group of kids working together and also so they all get a chance to work with everyone in the class. But I think your necklace idea would work fine too.

5. Keling9

Keling9 Companion

Sep 11, 2005

Like Kinderkids, I've had great success with the pocket charts. In the past, I have made signs to hang above the centers that match the pictures that are on the pocket chart. It seemed to help. It was a nice BIG reminder of where they were to go to next!

6. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Sep 12, 2005

I do the same thing as kinderkinds and keling. I use a pocket chart and i have each childs name written on a card. I group the kids by 3-4 kids and I change each group each week! It works well with for me.

7. kmcole4

kmcole4 Rookie

Sep 13, 2005

Thanks for the ideas! If you are all still available I was wondering if you could tell me how many centers kids get to each day. I am doing half day Kindergarten and would like to use that management piece. I like the idea of moving the center label down the pocket chart--or even the group label. I might use those for "have to" centers then have a "free choice" center open to them upon completion if that makes any sense....

8. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Sep 13, 2005

Depending on time the children usually visit 2 centers a day. About 10-15 minutes for each one. We have centers everyday but Thursday (we have 2 specials and it is a busy day for us). This year I am at a new district and I have a TON of specials so it is hard fitting everything in.
    I have a free choice center but if a child completes their activity in their center I let them go to the free choice center until it is time to switch.

9. kmcole4

kmcole4 Rookie

Sep 14, 2005

center management

I am going to start new center rules on Friday ---My plan is to open centers for 40 minutes + 5 minutes for clean up. I am going to divide the class into 4 groups of 4 children. I am thinking of displaying the centers available in a pocket chart and having the group names ( 1 one, 2 two, 3 three, 4 four ) next to them. Each group will have two centers listed and one "free-choice". I would like to try to give them 10-15 minutes in each area. I will ring the bell when it is time to "freeze" and "melt" to the second center. I will let children know that they may go back and revisit any of their assigned centers during that time and that they cannot visit other centers in the room
    -they will have a turn another day. I was planning on doing "special activities" or "projects" at a different table using the "telephone system". I would pick the first few for the group and then as they finish I will send them off with a message to a friend to come see either myself or my assistant at the project table. Does this sound functional for half day kindergarten? I also put hands with stickers to show how many children can be at each area. I am thinking of using a clothespin with a red green tag to show open areas and closed areas. I REALLY appreciate your input and feedback on this! Thanks so much AMK!!