center crazy

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by justright, Jul 25, 2005.

1. justright

justright Rookie

Jul 25, 2005

I will be a third grade teacher next year. I am not that comfortable with reading workshop. What should my kids do when they go into groups. I am looking for task cards/activity cards, group activities, or activities that have worked for you. thanks a lot :confused:

3. newbie3teacher

newbie3teacher Rookie

Jul 25, 2005

I am a new teacher this year. I will be teaching third grade also. Our school is hosting a workshop given by Kagan. It's all on cooperative learning. It is excellent and the books that they have are really worth it. Fortunately, for attending the workshop, you get a book and a binder on cooperative learning. If you go to www.kaganonline.com you will be able to find some great books and ideas on how to have fun while learning and actively engaging your class. Good luck!!! :)

4. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Jul 25, 2005

I'm a 3rd grade teacher too. I do "word sorts" in groups with my students. It's where they cut out letters that you give them and try to make words. Then you have them make certain words in a certain order to learn spelling and phonics patterns.
    [​IMG]

5. camcdade

camcdade Comrade

Jul 26, 2005

I also teach third... I could go on and on about what to do during your Reader's Workshop time, but my best advice is to go (stop now and order it!) :D get the book Guiding Readers and Writers Grades 3-6 by Fountas and Pinnell. It has been the best resource for me. The book outlines in detail how to set up Reader's Workshop (including a section about Guided Reading and centers), Writer's Workshop, and Word Study. Each chapter has at least 6 weeks of lesson plans for introducing these blocks in your classroom. You can see the book at Amazon.com here:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...102-7498881-4688149?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Another awesome book is Practice with Purpose - Literacy Work Stations for Grades 3-6. You can read the entire book online here:
    http://www.stenhouse.com/productcart/pc/viewprd.asp?idProduct=8957&r=&REFERER

6. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 26, 2005

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! :) What a lifesaver you are, Camcdade!
    I cannot afford either book right now (Have spent my budget on lit circle books on e-bay!!), but the on-line book is just amazing! Thank you so much!! :)

7. new teach

new teach New Member

Jul 26, 2005

Love all of the ideas!!!! what are the must havesfor a new third grade teacher?

8. skelley

skelley Rookie

Jul 27, 2005

All third grade teachers should check out Ms. Powell's web site. She is a third grade teacher with a wonderful web site to help other teachers, especially 3rd grade. Lots of center ideas and practical advice. I believe her web site is http://www.mspowell.com

If that's not it then go to google and search ms. powell's classroom, it should come up. Happy surfing!

9. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 27, 2005

Guiding Readers and Writers for Grades 3-6 was a life saver for me last year. Lots of great ideas. Check out Words Their Way by Bear, Invernizzi, Templeton, & Johnston. There are several books in this series that breaks down for each learning level. The big purple book even comes with a CD-Rom to help create lessons and activities. Our PIA bought each teacher a set for this year. Another book to look at is The Fluent Reader by Timothy V. Rasinski. I've got lots more at home that I'll post later. Hope you can get your hands on some of these. Ask fellow teachers. All of ours are willing to help and share what they can. Also ask your librarian if there are any resources that they can pull for you. We have a professional development section that is available for teacher check-out. Good Luck!!!

10. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Jul 27, 2005

Can anyone get the practice with a purpose to come up? I click on the contents area but nothing comes up.

11. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 27, 2005

Yep, it's working for me.

12. dianejw

dianejw Companion

Jul 27, 2005

camcdade,

I have been reading Practice with Purpose - Literacy Work Stations for Grades 3-6 on -line. You are right! It is an excellent resource book for someone who is trying to get literacy centers started in the intermediate grades. Thanks for sharing!

13. camcdade

camcdade Comrade

Jul 27, 2005

I'm so glad you found it helpful. I was pretty excited to find it, too. I have the book, Work Stations, that was written by the same authors. I got lots of great literacy center ideas from that book.

14. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2005

Thans for the website camcdade!! I've alreadd ben through chapter 1. I like reading this much better than the primary level guided reading book by Fountas and Pinnell. And since I'm teaching 3rd this year, this seems more relevant to me, plus it sounds better than what I've traditionally thought centers needed to be. You are always such a lifesaver!! :)

15. dianejw

dianejw Companion

Jul 27, 2005

After reading a lot of the book Practice for a Purpose online and skimming through much of it, I decided to order it. The book just has so much helpful information along with many templates that can be used at the centers. Now I will have to check out Work Stations. Thanks!

16. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2005

This may sound silly- but for those of you experienced in stations/centers- when do you start introducing them?

And in the very beginning of the year, what do you do before you start your guided reading groups besides running records and modeling? Shared reading maybe?

I'm new at this, so please bear with me:)

17. divey

divey Companion

Jul 28, 2005

Do you know if there is a "Guiding Readers and Writers" geared towards K-2 (I teach 2nd) or would the 3-6 book be easily adaptable?

18. camcdade

camcdade Comrade

Jul 28, 2005

No - actually Guiding Readers and Writers is basically the intermediate Guided Reading (by the same authors - Fountas and Pinnell). There are so many resources on this topic for primary, they finally decided to do an intermediate version.

19. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 28, 2005

Fountas & Pinnell also have Guided Reading: Good First Teachiing for All Children, which is for K-3. It covers HOW to do Guided Reading, how to design/organize the classroom for reading, using assessments, dynamic grouping vs. ability groups, creating your own text gradient, using a leveled set of books, and more. It also contains lots of reprodicible forms and even icons to use to represent your centers. Great resource.

20. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Jul 29, 2005

While I teach my guided reading groups, my kids independently read and/or they do literature circles. I am pretty sure (but don't quote me) that research says students need at least 45 minutes of independent reading in order to become proficient readers. This was very successful in my 3rd grade classroom last year. There reading scores soared! It was also a lot less work for me. After reading, they responded in their reading response notebook and I checked these during their reading conferences to check for comprehension. It worked very well last year!

21. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 29, 2005

I just purchased Guiding Readers and Writers Grades 3-6 by Fountas and Pinnell at Amazon. :) This will be my first year doing hardcore guided reading centers.

22. Newto2ndGrade

Newto2ndGrade Rookie

Jul 30, 2005

I taught 3rd for 8 years and this is how I set it up.

1. Each child had an independent reading folder which included book reports for all genres of literature. I had my books separated by genres so they would pick a book to read independently and then respond in the written report. I began introducing this program the first week of school with mini-lessons: how to pick a just right book, book report writing, genres, how to pick a quiet reading spot, what it looks like and how to write reading notes at the end of each day. This was my program for about 1 full week, reading for 30-40 minutes. During this time I would conference individually with kids so I could hear them read aloud and ask them about the book. Later on I had parent volunteers do conferences.
    2. I had a SRA kit that was another station. I introduced this about 2 weeks in. I had folders set up for this also with the record sheets. I introduced this by the 2nd week.
    3. Guided Reading Groups-By about the 3rd week I had the groups start. Because the other two stations were set up the other kids had something to do that they knew how to do.
    4. Library Visit - My old school allowed 5 kids at a time to go the library in the upper grades so each group had that as well.
    5. Computer - Usually this would be wordprocessing or a word game.
    6. Word Work - I used making words for this.

After about a month and a 1/2 I would add more things to the rotation. Slow and steady and based on how the children were doing with what was taught already.

Always at the end of the reading time each child would write notes about what they did and what they read.

23. kidsIam

kidsIam Rookie

Jul 30, 2005

This was a great find! After browsing through it online, I went ahead and ordered it. Thanks for sharing it camcdade.

24. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2005

Thanks newto2ndgrade....that gives me a good idea where to start:)