Cell Phones

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by jwhitg, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. new teacher too

new teacher too Rookie

Sep 4, 2007

The state government here is talking about a blanket ban on phones because of an incident where a student filmed a teacher 'losing it' and put it on youtube. Makes you think!

2. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2007

There is a ban on cell phones in many of our school boards here in Ontario.

3. lisapoet

lisapoet Rookie

Sep 15, 2007

Our school policy is simple. If I see or hear a cell phone during school hours I confiscate it and turn it in to the office. The phone doesn't get returned to the student. His/her parent has to come to the school to pick it up.

We have too many instances of students texting answers or setting up drug deals to have anything except a zero tolerance policy on cell phones.

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 15, 2007

No need for a cell phone in class. It's too much of a distraction and too tempting to cheat, among other things. As for taking notes, if the kid wants gamer's thumb or carpel tunnel early then go for it. As for shorthand. I don't mind kids using it in their notes because they should know how to take shorthand notes. For their paper, that's a different story. Using it as a drama prop is okay. I can't think of any other reason though. Even browsing the internet would be a no go because there aren't any filters on their phone and you can't see what they are actually browsing.

5. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Sep 16, 2007

This week I as my kids were having workshop time, I was circulating around the classroom (this is my gifted class, if that matters). I noticed one young man had an IPHONE out. I reminded him of our school policy regarding electronic devices, and his response was "My rough draft is on here. I use it instead of a jump drive." Good point, however, our school policy is that if I see/hear the device, I must take it and turn it in to the office. Since it was the first week of school, I told him that THIS time, I wouldn't take it, but in the future I would. This is a seventh grader. With an Iphone.

6. bmault

bmault Rookie

Sep 16, 2007

I think a call home with an explanation of not only the school's policy, but also how easy it would be to steal or break such an expensive item.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 16, 2007

My nephew got a cell phone when he turned 7.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 17, 2007

I had better not let my daughter see that. She is, of course, the "only 13-year old in the world" without a cell phone.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 17, 2007

"...much more efficient than those school supplied stop watches."

Why would a cell phone be more "efficient" than a stopwatch? I can't think of a reason. Be ready with plenty of receptacles to charge phones.

"My nephew got a cell phone when he turned 7."
    I'm going to assume there is an extremely serious medical reason for this. Don't tell me this isn't the case, because I don't want to believe that a seven year old has a cell phone just because. :huh:

Bottom Line: It is a "silly" idea to allow cell phones for instructional purposes.

10. new teacher too

new teacher too Rookie

Sep 17, 2007

"...much more efficient than those school supplied stop watches."

Why would a cell phone be more "efficient" than a stopwatch? I can't think of a reason. Be ready with plenty of receptacles to charge phones.

All I know is those with mobile phones (with stop watch functions), quickly and efficiently organized themselves to time the experiment, while the rest struggled with understanding how to work the stopwatches. After the activity was finished I didn't see the phones again. Go figure.

11. smalltowngal

Sep 17, 2007

I hate to tell you this, Justme, but its not for any medical reason than just that he wanted one so his grandpa(not my dad) got him one. I could see if it was for a medical reason, but he's prefectly healthy and is around my sister all the time(she's a teacher at his school). My daughter is 3, but she won't be getting a cell phone until she's maybe 15...and then its going to be the cell phone that preprograms up to 4 numbers with a 911 key.

12. ilovetoteech

ilovetoteech New Member

Sep 17, 2007

From my experiences thus far, cell phones in the classroom are nothing more than a distraction to the student and teacher. They do not belong in a learning environment.

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 17, 2007

Students will try whatever they can to beat the system and to me, professing to need a cell phone to use as a watch, a timer, or a jump drive are just excuses to have a phone in school (against the rules).

My dollar store stop watches work quite easily--one button to start and stop and another to clear. They keep time to the hundredths of a second--plenty accurate enough for any timing we need to do.

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 17, 2007

Come on SmallTownGal, I told you not to tell me. :p I want to live in my little bubble where second graders don't have cell phones.

15. smalltowngal

Sep 17, 2007

Ok then I take it back! :D:D

16. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

Sep 17, 2007

Mamacita - you are my kind of gal! ;) Now if only there were more out there who displayed the same kind of common sense. *Sigh*.

17. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Sep 17, 2007

If I see it I take it same as a hatt. I-pods are allowed during classwork time, not assesment time. If you start using them when im talking or when we are taking a test, the privllege is suspended. If you are using in in the hall thats no my problem.
    To me I have much other things to worroy about then to play hallway cellphone police.

18. Cubsfan83

Cubsfan83 New Member

Sep 20, 2007

I don't see how a cell phone in the classroom could be beneficial. We all went through grammer/middle school without one. The idea of having a phone on us at all times wasn't even there. I can understand how parents have the whole safety issue programmed into their heads and I do agree. Having a phone on them while walking to or from school is one thing, but it needs to be shut off and kept in their lockers during the day. What ever happend to "send ____ to the office please" when a parent needed to contact their child?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.