Cell phones?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by JaimeMarie, Mar 5, 2007.

1. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 5, 2007

I read some where that a parent was upset that the school took away her son's cell phone. I personally don't believe cell phones should be in the classroom. In a locker maybe. Turned off in a back pack sure. I would be extremely upset if a student had a cell phone ringing while I was trying to teach. I hate the phone in my classroom now. I'm lucky it only rang once during our testing (gym teacher asking if she could make up Friday, I said no we are testing of course).
    So how do you all feel about cell phones in schools?

3. childcare teach

childcare teach Comrade

Mar 5, 2007

I agree with you cells phones should be turned off during school.The schools in ny area have a rule that a child can carry a cell phone but it must be turned off during school hours and if found on during school hours the teachers take the phone and a parnet must come and get it.

4. sanwin

sanwin New Member

Mar 5, 2007

Cell Phones

Our school system has a policy that states no electronics allowed. If a student brings anything (phone, ipod, etc) and loses it, we are not allowed to help look for it, etc. Students may bring these items, but they have to be hidden from the teacher and silent. If we see them, we take them up, and parents have to come to school to get them. We do not give them back to the child.

5. BigJim

BigJim Rookie

Mar 5, 2007

Its probably a good idea for the kids to have them for some sort of emergency, but they should be turned off. We take them if they come out during school hours or if they ring.

6. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Mar 5, 2007

Offical policy is off and out of sight. Of course, some teachers vary in actual enforcement. I know I personally have my own on vibrate, in my purse, out of sight. I have had students use a cell phone as a watch, to check the date, etc. Never is it used to actually make contact with the outside world during school hours.

7. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Mar 5, 2007

I have a teacher opinion on this and a parent opinion. I think cell phones should be turned off and put away during class as a teacher. On the other hand I have needed to get a hold of my daughter during the day and she has need to get ahold of me as well. I think it was a pain for her to half to go down to the office stand on the cell phone X and use the phone. It took her longer to go to the office than the whole entire phone call took. IF the kid could just go out in the hall way use it for a second that would be great. I know there would be kids who would use for lots of other things but you would know if there was a pattern and you could just say you cant get use it until after class. I wouldnt want to go off in the middle of a lecture either. I really do see both sides to this so I'm not sure where I stand on it.

8. BigJim

BigJim Rookie

Mar 5, 2007

occaisonally if a kid needs to use one for an emergency I allow him/her to do so with my approval, though that is rare.

9. sanwin

sanwin New Member

Mar 5, 2007

the problem

The problem with that is that every child is not like yours, and many will take advantage of any situation. Children text message answers to tests, etc. What many of us fail to remember is that we got along without them for a long time, and while they are great to have, we do need to have rules concerning them, and then, we need to follow the rules.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 5, 2007

If our students have cell phones that are seen or heard they are taken away until the end of the day. Repeat offenders are handled by the administration and parents are informed of the restrictions.

11. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Mar 5, 2007

Cell phones should stay in the purse or backpack or pocket, and NEVER be brought out in the classroom. If I saw it out and being used, I took it, and the parent had to come to school to get it.

After school? They're on their own time, and seeing them whip out those phones doesn't bother me in the least.

There is no legitimate reason for a child to call anyone or receive a call from anyone, including a parent, during the school day. Emergency? Call the office, not the child.

But as long as the student wasn't socializing or cheating or calling home for stupid things, ie, getting out the phone for anything other than fire or flood or sniper attack, I would not take the phone from him/her. Especially after Columbine.

12. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Mar 5, 2007

I agree with Mamacita, parents should not be calling their child at school. If it is an absolute emergency do what we did before cell phones were around, contact the office.

13. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Mar 5, 2007

At my daughter's high school, the kids were using the cell phones in school to set up drug buys. Now this is not a school in a large city- but is a rural-area school in a small city of about 8,000 people. Now the rule is - if a teacher sees your cell phone, it will be taken.

14. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 5, 2007

I'm amazed that I survived childhood growing up without a cell phone. Gee Wiz!!! IMHO, there is absolutely no reason for a cell phone. What did we do before them? It's just ridiculous:rolleyes:

15. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 5, 2007

I didn't get a cell phone until 2004. I made my mom get one last winter. I couldn't stand having to meet her at the up escalator at the mall any longer.
    '

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 5, 2007

I'm such a relic! I have a cell phone, and I think I've used it twice. I don't know the phone number, and sometimes forget how to turn it on. I really just have it in case I'm ever stranded in the car. And pay phones are getting more and more hard to find.

Our school policy is that cell phones are to be turned off and kept in your locker. If you want to use it after school, you must leave the building; we have lots of courtyards where a kid can phone in safety, but it makes an easy distinction between where they're allowed and where they aren't.

A kid caught with a cell phone in his blazer pocket gets an automatic 5 demerits. (to put that in perspective: 20 demerits and you're suspended. Thirty and you're expelled. So 5 is a lot!)

17. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Mar 6, 2007

Teachers take phones if a student is using it during class and their parent must pick it up from the office. We have a lot of support from the parents for this policy. However, our school currently allows the kids to use their phones during passing period. I am hoping this will change next year. I once caught a student texting in class and she gave me a huge story about a relative having just died – a little investigation proved her story to be false and resulted in ISS.

18. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 6, 2007

Don't feel bad Jaime.. I didn't get one till 2003.... I got sick of people complaining they can't find me. Ummmm... hello... I'm the same places I've always been before cell phones:rolleyes:

19. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Mar 7, 2007

K-8, cell phones are to be checked in at the office. If its found in a students possession, the parents are called into the office to have a discussion with the principal about the need, use, abuse, etc. of cell phones on campus.

At the university, I have to ask students to turn off their cell phones and put the phone IN their bag or FACE DOWN where it can be seen during EXAMS; otherwise I have to confiscate their exam. I have had cell phones go off during the middle of exams, the student answer the phone and then complain I took the exam away. Of course, I've also caught students text messaging during exams; so I know they are abused.

As for going off during lectures, my only policy is it not ring; I don't care about silence mode or texting during lectures.

20. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Mar 9, 2007

There is no way to get rid of cell phones, so you just have to be consistent and fair.

The phone must be on silent or off. I can hear the buzzing (supersonic ears!!!). If it goes off, its mine for the day. Again, and it goes to the office and parent picks it up. Again, and its the school's until the end of the semester. My principal backs us up, and he has several phones on hold. He even has TWO from one kid who lost it for the semester and then lost a SECOND for the semester!!!

I also agree with my principal that teachers can't use their phones either. No teacher should get to walk around with it on their belt. We actually have several teachers who have been written up for using theirs during school hours or them ringing in meetings!

If there is an emergency, then call the office. If you are getting an organ transplant, then you get to keep your phone :) Just keep it out of my sight!!!

21. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 9, 2007

It's too hard for people to call our office sometimes. If you are hearing and don't know how to get through to a deaf office, or if the secretary has to walk off to take care of something, there really isn't an answering machine. If you call the admin office, you have to leave a message on the answering machine, but then you have to wait for a hearing person to come in and check them. It's crazy. It's necessary for teachers to have pagers in our school but they aren't abused really. It's like checking your email. I used my pager today to contact a sub because the secretary was out in workshops and no one had a complete sub list. This sub was a friend so I happened to have the pager address.

I am an aide that has morning breakfast duty. They want us to make sure the students aren't using their pagers during this time. I can't really figure out why, but that's the rule. I was trying to enforce them but it was nearly impossible. So one day I decided I would take them away (if caught) just for the breakfast time. Then they could have it back. They were actually following the rule. Then my supervisor's boss (over dorm) got wind and I got in trouble for that. Well this year I flat out told him that I don't think it's right to be asked to enforce a rule that the students know there is no consequence for and it because a manipulation/power struggle tool. It's pointless. Of course I was ticked that on the same day a student cursed at me and nothing was really done. So he talked to my supervisor and my supervisor sent out an email...."Staff, you need to be watching for hats and pagers....etc" What was the point?

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2007

Here's our school's take on that issue:

- If it's an emergency: something bad has happened to grandma or something: there's no way a child should receive that news alone. So call the office and let someone know. They'll get the child, and she won't be all by herself when she hangs up the phone with you.

- If it's not an emergency: call and leave a voice mail message. When school is over, she can check her messages and get back to you. Or call and leave a message with the receptionist; she'll write it down and deliver it to your daughter. The kids can use one of the office lines to return calls, or one of the pay phones, or wait until after school and use their cell phones in the courtyard.
    I think that the "it's a pain to go to the office" issue is minor. It's less an issue than all the problems, from cheating to just interrupting classes, that are caused by kids having cell phones on during the day.

23. lisap

lisap Companion

Mar 10, 2007

A couple points to add: I think parents need to be given clear rules on the cell phone use at school and how to make contact with their child for emergency and non-emergency reasons.

Also, someone mentioned the drug trade texting - at my school I had an issue where a boy was texting with the phone in his lap, under the table. He tried to hide it when I asked him to hand it over, then he took out the battery and gave me the phone. . . hmmm, trying to hide the messaging??? It was a big ordeal - he said he gave me the phone, I said he needed to give the whole thing, battery and all - we went to the assistant principals office and he was afraid people would read his text messages!

I liked the idea of checking them in at the office, but how many students will hide them in their bags? In our school, if they are seen or heard - they are taken away.

24. Madrone

Madrone Rookie

Mar 10, 2007

Our school's policy is similar. If the phone can be seen, it can be taken away. Personally, I don't think they should be on campus at all. As Aliceacc said, bad news shouldn't be given while the child is alone or in class. And anything that doesn't need to be communicated by an administrator can wait until after school.

I still don't have a cell phone and am holding out on principle. What in the world made humans decide en masse that we all need to be available 24/7? I know I am trying to stem the tide with a toothpick here, but cell phones are one bit of technology I just don't get.

25. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Mar 10, 2007

We do not allow any electronics on school property. A child found with any cell, game, or ipod gets suspended....YIKES!!!! I am enforcing although I disagree with the strictness of this policy. My child has a cell and takes it to school. She knows never to use it on my school grounds because it would really look bad for me!! I DON'T MAKE THE RULES...BUT THEY WILL BE ENFORCED!!:rolleyes:

26. extravatrek

extravatrek Rookie

Mar 11, 2007

Cell phones have cameras. School's cannot put photos of students on websites without parental permission. But that doesn't stop kids. Check out youtube sometime and see how many students have posted video of their peers and their teachers acting stupid, or of girlfights and boy fights. It's not just a phone, it's also a means to invade personal privacy and that intrusion will escalate at a rate beyond our ability to control it. No cell phones, no cameras, no ipods , please.

27. Mr. Windchill

Mr. Windchill Rookie

Mar 11, 2007

That sounds like my kind of school/administration I would like to work for.

Despite being young myself, I remember the days before cell phones. I often miss those days. With very few, rare exceptions I do not see a need for kids to have cell phones. I know of a few students who I have talked to about the issue who admit that without a cellphone, life wouldn't be worth living more or less. I believe it's mainly a social status symbol for the kids, and they become too attached with socializing via the phone.

At my school, students may have phones on them, including clipped to their pants, on their desk, etc. they just cannot use the phones. In my not so humble opinion it's a weak stance.

I try to reinforce the idea of time-and-place. There is a time and a place for somethings while not for others; and my classroom and my instruction time is not the time, nor the place for cell phones.

28. txmomteacher2

Mar 12, 2007

clarify something

My two oldest children have cell phones and they take them to school. They know the rules if they get caught then I have to come get the cell phone. If they are caught talking to someone else other than me I would have a problem with them using the phone. My kids dont have texting or cameras on their phones so thats not an issue with mine. I have read all the posts and most seem to be totally against having cell phones at school. I wrote in my first post that I needed to get a hold of my daughter so I called her. Let me just say that our high school office is known for NOT giving students messages. I have often called left a message and nothing. The one time I needed to get in contact with her it was important, but it wasn't something that she needed an adult to help her with. I would never tell any of my kids that someone they loved was sick or injured on the phone. As an employee of the district and even when I wasnt I have always tried to follow the rules. I know cell phones get taken up if they get caught using them, but if the front office isn't doing it's job by making sure that messages are gotten to the right person then I have the right as a parent to contact my child. I left her a voicemail, she called me back. We were on the phone less than a minute. If she had been caught I would have understood, but I would have defended her in the principals office just as I am now. I realize that rules are rules, and its not that I am about breaking them but there are circumstances that need to be taken into account.

29. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Mar 12, 2007

Today I had a first grader have a cell phone go off in class! Now why in the world would a first grader need a cell phone???????

30. txmomteacher2

Mar 12, 2007

I agree what does a first grader need with a celphone. My two oldest who are in high school each have one. My 4th grader wants one too, but I just can't see him really needing one (especially since I am on the same campus as he is) He doesnt have one and wont get one until he is at least in the 7th grade. (after school activites begin then)

31. maroki

maroki Comrade

Mar 12, 2007

I had a first grader come to school today and say her father was going to come to school and discuss her bringing her cell phone with her and leaving it in her backpack. :rolleyes: I'll have to doublecheck with the admin (never had this problem in 1st grade yet) but I'm pretty sure I will tell him no. The office is good about getting messages to students and to me if need be, and I am available throughout the day and return calls promptly when parents call. I don't think she will be needing a phone in my classroom or at our school.

32. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Mar 12, 2007

My policy keep it off and out of site. If it goes off in class I take it and you must get it after school from me, same applies if a student uses it in front of me during class. If students must use it go to the bathroom, just do not use it in front of me. If it happens again detention or possible write up to the Admin.

33. childcare teach

childcare teach Comrade

Mar 13, 2007

MY eleven year old just asked me for one. He said " my friend have one and i want one" I said if your friends jumped in a lake would you? my mom said that to me all the time. I told him he did not need one because a phone was around after school if he needs to call me.

34. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 13, 2007

I have never heard the jump in a lake one before. If my mom asked me that I would have said yes. I grew up on a lake. My mom always said if your friends jumped off a bridge would you.

35. Ms. H.

Ms. H. New Member

Mar 17, 2007

Here's the argument one of my kids made to me last week... "well, if there was some crazy gun totin' maniac here and my cell phone was off, I would have to turn it on and it would beep and then what? We would all get shot!!!"

My position? If it is that important, your parents can call the office and have them ring the classroom. That said, I must admit that I do let kids go into the hallway if they have a quick call to make. But by the same toke, I also allow them to use the phone on my desk for that purpose.

Ms. H.

36. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 18, 2007

If our students need to make phone calls during they day they must be done from the office, with permission from a staff member and the secretary. Cell phones can only be used outside of school hours. If students need to be reached in an emergency, the parents can call the office and the student will be paged. We have phone in our rooms for teacher use only.

37. lisap

lisap Companion

Mar 18, 2007

Most jobs don't allow personal phone calls (or cell phones during the work day).

I just wonder what is important that can not wait until after school. I have a younger child in school, and only needed to leave a message for him one time this entire year (about afterschool sitter not being available - sudden notice).

It is a society thing with too much dependance on immediate contacts IMO.

38. PurpleTweety

PurpleTweety Companion

Mar 24, 2007

I do have a few students who bring cellphones to school. These are the students that take public transportation to school, and carry them to call in case of being stranded/emergency. The school policy is that it must be turned over to staff when they come into school in the morning. It is returned to the student at the end of the day. We very seldom have an issue with them. None this year anyway.
    I should add that the school policy also does not allow teachers to use cell phones or have them on during the day also - EXCEPT, if we leave the building with students (this includes yard duty, walks, field trips etc) we must have a cell phone with us.