cell phones

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Loves the beach, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Loves the beach

Loves the beach Companion

Mar 12, 2014

I won't go into detail...just need to vent after a stressful day...but I am so fed up with excessive cell phone use at my school!!!! My assistant thinks I am mad at her because I have politely told her that I can't look at pictures/videos of her grandchildren...while I'm in the middle of a lesson!!!

Not asking for advice...my principal is aware of this person's work habits....things are being looked into...I think I'm handling things as best as I can....but I feel so stressed out working with this person. They can't put their cell phone down long enough to work with the kids. And I have to tell them several times, "Please help the kids with __________." And then after class, my assistant tells me she feels like she is in my way. :dizzy:

My husband works at a factory. If you are caught on a cell phone, you are automatically written up. Thee pink slips within a year and you're fired. I know of many, many supervisors who have this policy.

At our school, ALL of us have ipads. Assistants included. We are to use them for educational purposes. We are not allowed to have cell phones out in the class unless there is a school-related emergency. This is according to the faculty handbook.

I understand that people you work with may seem like family. And it is hard to confront people. But I'm so tired of children being ignored while adults are standing around on their cell phones. And it's only about three adults at our school who do that, but that's three adults who could be making an impact on our children. Plus, it's a safety issue when I see kids horse playing and a teacher or assistant is poking their finger at their phone, completely unaware that the class is yelling in the hallway and students are twisting each others' arms, kicking, name-calling, etc.

I know I would make a terrible principal because I hate confronting people. However, I just feel like this is ridiculous. Looking at pictures and videos of grandchildren...checking facebook....come on! :|

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 12, 2014

Many hugs. Excessive cell phone usage by students was the worst part of my day today, without going into detail. Perhaps you can work with your principal and help create a contract / guide book of device use and abuse. That way, you aren't directly confronting, but quietly leading.

4. Rox

Rox Cohort

Mar 13, 2014

I have my students leave their iPads, cell phones, etc. face down on their desk or in their backpacks. Paras and other staff included. If they are caught using them when they are not supposed to be, they have to put it on a special table away from the students. When they complain, I direct them to the contract we all (including staff) signed at the beginning of the year.

5. Loves the beach

Mar 13, 2014

No one used their cell phone in class today. We accomplished so much! Hooray!!

6. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Mar 14, 2014

My problem isn't so much my students as my coworkers. I have one who is constantly staring into his phone even during meetings or direct conversations. We have others who pull them out while "supervising" assemblies. It drives me nuts.

7. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Mar 15, 2014

You don't really have the authority to tell your assistant to put her cell phone away because you're not her supervisor. For legality purposes, the admin should be drawing up a plan and enforcing a cell phone policy for adults. If they refuse to, then they're dropping the ball and if it bothers you that much, request a transfer. I just wouldn't take it up in my hands because like I said, you really have no authority over anyone that isn't a student.

8. Loves the beach

Mar 17, 2014

Same here. I've never really had a problem with my students using phones in class.

9. Loves the beach

Mar 17, 2014

I'm not sure who you are referring to, but I do not tell anyone to put their cell phone away. I'm not a principal. I am a teacher. If I said that I ask people to put their cell phones away, please let me know. I need to delete that part! :)

My assistant has asked to tell me how she can help in the class, so I do tell her. I ask her to help the kids with specific tasks. She can't really help them and look at facebook at the same time, so the cell phone automatically goes away for a few minutes.

Like I said, no advice needed. I'm not taking matters into my own hands. My principal was the one who has been observing this person is not doing her job very well, and she mentioned it to me (awkward!). I do not see that this is a need to transfer. Did I imply that? I am sorry if I did! Yikes!!!! :eek: I love where I work, it's just that we're having some issues with the cell phones.....And it appears that the situation has already improved. I'm not sure if my principal met with the people at fault. I know I sure didn't. :D

10. Loves the beach

Mar 17, 2014

Thanks for the encouragement! :)

I'm not sure that we need another contract on cell phone use and abuse, because we already have about half a page in our faculty handbook that we read and sign each year. Our principal recently handed each of us a copy at our faculty meeting and mentioned that "there have been some issues with students not being adequately supervised" due to adults "in charge" spending time on their cell phones.

Like I said, I'm glad I'm not a principal! I would NOT want to directly confront an adult about this! ;) I'm happy with quietly leading, and allowing my principal to confront. My principal is doing a great job this year. :thumb: I'm so thankful to have her at our school! (This is her first year here.)

11. Loves the beach

Mar 17, 2014

And for the record, I'm not against using cell phones during planning or on lunch break. If I actually had time, I would use my phone during my lunch break. : )

I'm not always the best communicator on here, and as a result I am sometimes misunderstood. I probably need to take my time more and say less. And proofread one last time! : )

So once again...If I said (or implied) that I was telling co-workers to put their cell phones up, I am not. I understand that is not my place. And if it was I'd be horribly uncomfortable! : )