Cell Phone with Internet Access

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by AnnNorCal, Feb 11, 2013.

1. AnnNorCal

AnnNorCal Rookie

Feb 11, 2013

Hello,

I have a question for my fellow subs. I currently use an old fashioned phone that doesn't have internet access. For those of you that do have phones with internet access, do you feel like you get more jobs because you can select them right from your phone?

I currently use subassistant and it helps, but a lot of times I am not able to get to the computer fast enough. I'm just trying to decide if it is worth the cost to upgrade my phone.

Thanks so much.

3. Jen84

Jen84 Companion

Feb 11, 2013

I have a phone with internet access, but I do not use it to accept sub jobs (I'm too frugal to pay for a Jobulator subscription). Most teachers in the district where I sub post on Aesop in the evening, so I always have check4change running. I've never had a problem picking up jobs solely from my computer.

4. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Feb 12, 2013

I have a smartphone, but also use an app that will call me, so even if I am somewhere that I can't get data coverage or click quick enough, the phone call comes in to still offer me the job. It costs $6.95 a month, but obviously pays for itself quickly.

5. AnnNorCal

AnnNorCal Rookie

Feb 12, 2013

That would be worth it. Can you tell me the name of the app? If I get a new phone I definitely want that service.

Thanks so much.

6. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Feb 12, 2013

I had the app for awhile when all I had was an iTouch. You could likely still sign up for an account, it also sends a text message and an email along with the phone call. It is called SubstituteAlert and the website is easy to find. I'm not sure what systems it works with, my district uses SubFinder.

7. AnnNorCal

AnnNorCal Rookie

Feb 12, 2013

Thank you so much:)