"Cell phone valets" outside schools in NYC

Discussion in 'General Education' started by EdEd, Oct 7, 2012.

1. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Oct 7, 2012

I found this pretty interesting - there are trucks (similar looking to food trucks) that park outside high schools in NYC where students can pay $1/day to store their phone, then pick it up afterward.

Got me thinking - would you support an effort to encourage schools to offer this service? In urban areas such as NYC, cell phones can be a safety measure for students, and have other valid reasons for use. Rather than fighting students to not bring phones at all, what about a valet or "phone check" service? Perhaps even providing space at the school for a private company to do it and give part of the money to the school?

http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2...tm_source=fb&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=mrss

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 7, 2012

4. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Oct 7, 2012

Wow. Will check out the story.

5. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Oct 7, 2012

Can't they just turn them off and turn them into the school if there's a problem? We tell kids to shut it off and leave it in your backpack/locker. It isn't a serious issue. I would be upset to pay money for something so silly.

6. Resentful

Resentful Rookie

Oct 7, 2012

That seems dangerous that's a law in NY that students can't bring their phones to school. As long as the phones are on vibrate/silent, I saw allow them.

7. bondo

bondo Cohort

Oct 8, 2012

If the school disallows it they should provide some way for the students to safely store them while at school/in class. A dollar a day adds up. I'm with resentful, as long as the phone is not disrupting to class or distracting to owner or other students, then let it be.

8. Julieanne

Julieanne New Member

Feb 17, 2013

I am a high school teacher and I regularly get very frustrated with all of the distractions caused by cell phones in the classroom, but I do not think it is a good idea to take the phones from the kids. Is there any way to turn their phones off while they are in the classroom? Does anyone have any good ideas for regulating cell phones in class so they are no longer such a distraction? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

9. mrsc_teaches

mrsc_teaches Companion

Feb 17, 2013

I went to school when pagers were popular and if you got caught with one you were expelled hands down no second chance that was that. It happened once kid was expelled and I don't remember it happening again.
    Kids don't need cell phones in the classroom, they are a distraction and let's not forget the parents who insist on calling whenever.
    The school could have a check in for the cell phones keep them safe all day get them at the end of the day.
    My kids school does that works out fine.

10. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Feb 17, 2013

I think it would have to be a school-wide or district-wide policy if you are going to be effective. A single teacher banning phones is not going to get far at all. It is difficult enough for me to enforce school rules because so many other teachers are slack. But I know that if I do present a consequence to a student due to phone usage, the admin will have to back me up since it is in our handbook.