Cell Phone Policy

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Mar 23, 2019

The school that I am working at has a no tolerance policy towards cell phones/headphones during class as well as homeroom. If I see any, I take them and send them to the office. I love this policy because I basically have no issues with cell phones. I've probably confiscated only about 6-7 cell phones this whole year. There was one instance when a kid didn't give it to me, so I called admin, and our VP took the phone.

I did a few demo lessons in other schools yesterday and I was shocked by what the kids were allowed to do. One of the demos was great and the kids were really well behaved. (I loved this school and would take the job if offered!) However, in another demo, there were 4 boys with headphones (the little ones) in their ears. I thought the VP would tell them to take it out but no one seemed to care. The school had a uniform and 3/4 of the class was not even in uniform. In a different school, there were 3 girls with headphones in and cell phones on their desk and again, no one said anything. Is this normal?

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 23, 2019

Our kids are allowed to use phones for class work if the teacher approves it. I use Kahoot! often. Otherwise, they are to stay out of sight.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 23, 2019

That’s a huge red flag for me.

Ms.Holyoke and otterpop like this.
  5. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Mar 23, 2019

In one of the demos, I was told to teach a particular lesson from Engage NY. I saw the lesson and it was VERY challenging (had lots of decimals + very complex problems about linear functions). I did my student teaching in this district and I knew that most of the kids would be low+behind. So, I chose to teach a much easier lesson. In my lesson, the kids basically just had to find the slope and y-intercept from a line and make an equation. The kids had NO IDEA what slope and y-intercept was, even though they learned the whole unit and supposedly did the previous 2 Engage NY lessons on linear relationships this week.

Afterwards, the person observing me told me that I adjusted the lesson well when I realized that the the kids had no idea what slope and y-intercept was. She also told me that this group of kids has been giving teachers trouble all year so they behave like this all the time so it wasn't me. I was also left alone with the kids for 5 minutes but thankfully they were good. It was crazy...the headphones were the least of my concerns haha.

I'm not sure what the vice principal thought. She made one of the boys straighten papers for me for being rude...

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Mar 23, 2019

This sounds like a school to stay away from.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  7. Aces

Aces Habitué

Mar 23, 2019

We have a no cell phones/headphones policy "unless approved by the teacher". So yes in my classes, they usually have headphones in — which as long as their work is getting done, I'm good with that. As a contrast, I have zero issues with cellphones/headphones.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  8. MntnHiker

MntnHiker Rookie

Mar 23, 2019

Our school's policy is like yours--no phones in the classroom (students have their own laptops, so there is no educational reason they must use a phone); if we see one, we have them put it in a padded envelope and then take it to the office to be picked up at the end of the day. I love our policy. Before this administration came in, it was a free-for-all and we had some big issues with phones, such as students taking inappropriate pictures of females with them surreptitiously, and not much discipline was handed out for it. It's better for them to not even be allowed in the room, in my opinion.

As far as earbuds, that is up to teacher discretion. I do not allow them in during class discussion, lecture, or group work. If it is independent work time and their work is getting done, I'm OK with earbuds in to listen to music.

9. rpan

rpan Cohort

Mar 23, 2019

We used to have a teacher discretion policy regarding cell phones and headphones. Now it’s a blanket no policy unless for educational purposes. The cell phones weren’t really an issue for teachers with good classroom management but were a massive issue for teachers that didn’t. That was the stimulus for the blanket no policy. The blanket no policy includes no headphones for any reason whatsoever. I disagree with it. Students learn differently and there are so many students who concentrate so much better with music in their ears. They didn’t chat with other students or distract other students because they were either concentrating on the music or concentrating on work or both. It was a win. Now, I can make students who don’t want to work zip it and keep their thoughts and words to themselves but it’s a constant battle I’d rather not have and I’d rather use that time to help students who need help.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    TrademarkTer likes this.
  10. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Mar 24, 2019

Agreed--I do not think I will accept if offered.