Cell Phone/Land Phone/Both?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Hoot Owl, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 15, 2009

I've talked to a lot of people and they are doing away with their land phones because they say they just don't need them anymore. We've always "had" one which is not a good reason to keep it. I'm considering ditching it and depending on the cells because I think we can live without the land one.

Anyone with just the cell phone?

3. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jan 15, 2009

We were talking about that too but we keep one incase there's an emergency and our cell phones aren't working for some reason.

4. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jan 15, 2009

I have a basic land line. I am going to get rid of it in a few months.

5. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Jan 15, 2009

I just don't feel like doing away with the land line altogether. Unless the power goes out (I have cordless phones), the land line will always be open for me to use whereas the cell phone may or may not work for me.

In fact, here's a good example of why I'd never do away with my land line:

I live at home with my mom and her 86-year-old handicapped father. He's had many strokes in the past and is on a ton of medications. Given he can no longer walk on his own, he has a Medline rollator to get around. There are times where he still has strokes with us at home.

On really bad winter days where it's like a blizzard outside the cell phone network is generally down on an on and off basis due to high volumne of accidents, spin offs, and break downs. If there was a medical emergency in my family and I was trying to get through to 911 when the newtwork was down then those few minutes of not geting through may mean certain death for the person in the emergency. I'd hate to lose my grandfather to something like this knowing I could've gotten through okay if I still had a land line.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2009

We have a land line for the internet.

7. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 15, 2009

We have both. Have to keep the landline because we do not get good cell service in the house. You have to go outside otherwise you will drop your call if you blink too many times.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 15, 2009

We have both. Cell service in our house is "iffy" at best. We could shoot a "dead zone" commercial in our house. I hate having to be planted to one spot when I talk because I'm afraid to lose the signal.

We have enhanced 911 service in town, but only for landline phones.

It also depends on how much you use your phone. We rarely use our cell phones. I may have used 500 minutes in the past year. DH uses even less. We have basic landline service with nationwide flat-rate long-distance. It's MUCH cheaper for us to have a landline and prepaid cell phones.

9. NewGirl23

NewGirl23 Rookie

Jan 15, 2009

My husband and I only have cell phones...we went 2 months with no one calling out landline except telemarketers. Everyone is both of our families and about 90% of our friends all use Verizon so we don't have to worry about going over on minutes. It saves us about 50 dollars a month.

10. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Jan 15, 2009

I have both.

When I first started living on my own, I just had a cell phone.

However, I prefer to use primarily a land line phone. They are more comfortable, and sometimes cell phone service is not all that great. Plus, I'm not very good at keeping the cell phone charged.

I do like having the cell phone when I need it though. Since I only use my cell phone minimally, I have a prepaid one rather than a contract phone.

Also, I have to have a land line because I have a monitored alarm system that doesn't work with cell phones.

11. jadej

jadej Rookie

Jan 15, 2009

I just have a cell phone. I guess it depends on whether you have a family or not whether it's worth it to have both. My parents still have their's, but also have a family plan for cell phones with my little sister.
    She like to text a lot, but she's not as bad as this girl.

12. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jan 15, 2009

I have both. I use the cell phone mostly (nationwide long distance) and mainly have the land line just for DSL.

13. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Jan 15, 2009

Only the cell. I've never been without service in town - even in bad weather.

14. Lady D

Lady D Rookie

Jan 15, 2009

I would love to get rid of my land line. Everyone in my household has cell phones. We rarely use the land line. We keep it just because we have a monitored alarm system. I think having it is a waste of money.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 15, 2009

There's another reason to keep the landline: if you own a fax machine, or if you ever fax to or from your computer.

16. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jan 15, 2009

When we lived on our own we just had our cell phones. We had a land line for the internet, but no phone attached and the plan was the lowest you could get...like $5 a month.

17. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Jan 15, 2009

I forgot about the FAX machine. That's another reason I have a land line.

18. teach1983

teach1983 Rookie

Jan 15, 2009

Isn't there a way to fax now without having a landline? If not...I hope a way appears soon! :) I know cable companies are in the market for internet access now...fax over cable? Did I just come up with something?! :thumb:

19. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 15, 2009

I used to have only a cell phone. When I moved to NC, I spent more time on the phone with family and friends. I kept going over in minutes, so I got Vonage. It was cheaper to do that than to up my plan; plus it gave me a local number. I no longer need it as I do not speak to as many people as regularly and my family all has Verizon (except Dad), so the minutes are free. However, I have moved and do not get cell reception in my subdivision (not just my house). So, I have to keep the landline. Grrr.... At least for the time being. Verizon has "no plans for resolving the issue at this time."

Anyway, the downfall to having only a cell phone is that it is hard to find if you live alone and lose it :lol: When I had just a cell, I had to run to the gas station, call my mom with a payphone, tell her to call me in 10 minutes and drive back to listen :rofl: (I carried laundry upstairs and put it on the basket and it fell into the clothing and I forgot I put it there). Other than that, it was not an issue for 3+ years.

20. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Jan 15, 2009

We've got landlines and cells. Yes, there is a way to receive faxes over the internet but if you want a local number it costs money so much easier to have a fax. We've also got a T1 connection as my dh receives MRI, cat scans, etc. but hospital pays for that. I guess we're part of a dying breed. He uses the landlines and so do I -- just put on that headset and run around the house for me and he uses the speakerphone excessively. I hate to say this but we've got 4 different landline numbers.

21. Alesia

Alesia Companion

Jan 15, 2009

My DH and I only have our cell phones. We used to have a land line, but we never used it.

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 16, 2009

I still live w/ my parents & we ea hv our own landline in the house. I only pay $20-25 a mo. It's the very basic svc. I plan on keeping it. My mom & I ea hav our own cell phone too, but we still consider it for emergencies, occasional talking, etc. I'll nev just hv a cell phone.

But, we hv that new device that I'm sure you've heard of called Magic Jack where you plug it into your computer & a phone. You don't need a jack & only pay $39.99 for the 1st yr & $19.99 a yr thereafter. We haven't actually set it up yet, but we have it if we ever want to start.

23. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 16, 2009

I only have a cell. I finally got rid of my land line a few months ago, when NO ONE called me on it.

24. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jan 16, 2009

We have both and I like having my land line. I have too many family members and friends who are on different cell carriers. So I use my land line often.

25. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jan 16, 2009

26. teach1983

teach1983 Rookie

Jan 16, 2009

Been there...done that!!! I have actually gotten on Sprint's website and used their text messaging service to send myself a text so I can hear my phone!!! :lol: