Cell Phone for the classroom

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ruby731, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Ruby731

Ruby731 Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

I don't have a phone in my classroom, but am thinking about buying a prepaid cellphone one for this year. I would leave it off during the school day, but might have a kid use it to call home if they have missing work. Should I ask my principal about it before I get one? I don't want to use my own cell phone.
    If you have a pre-paid phone, which one do you use?

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2008

I am surprised that there isn't any phone in your room. If not for anything, in case of some emergency I think having one in your room is definitely important. I don't know how I feel about using it to call if the kids have missing work unless it's to talk to the parents after or before school about it but definitely in emergency sits.

4. Ruby731

Ruby731 Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

We do have walkie talkies but our 50 year old electrical system can't handle wired phones in the class. :unsure:

5. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2008

Ahh gotcha. Well, it might be worth it to have the cell anyway :)

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2008

Just have consequences for missing work. Calling home i many cases is a moot point- parents are at work themselves or in my district the nanny answers the phone and the mom is off at spinning class. Consequences teach lessons to the kids- prepaid phone doesn't IMHO. :2cents:

7. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2008

I was at a school that didn't have phones in the classroom. If I needed to call home I had to waste my whole break waiting to use the office phone. Or call parents on my cell phone, which I didn't want to give out. I wish I had thought of getting a prepaid.

8. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 15, 2008

I remember when our school had ONE outgoing line for ALL of the teachers -- and the only phone we could use was in the teacher' room -- with all the noise of the copier and people talking going on, and everybody listening in on your business. Sometimes, you had to wait 20 minutes in line to use the phone, and even if you got the phone, you might not be able to get an outgoing line. When that was the case, I almost never called parents.

Then they installed phones in our classroom. It is wonderful to be able to pick up the phone anytime, or to have privacy during your planning time or after school to have a serious discussion with a parent.

That being said, I wouldn't waste money on a prepaid for something like missing assignments. That can be dealt with by sending a note home. Most parents won't or aren't able to come run in and bring it anyway.

9. Ruby731

Ruby731 Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

I should probably clarify a few things. I know parents won't be there. I was thinking they would leave a (teacher scripted) message that they didn't turn in x assignment, and they have to finish it "tonight". I have other procedures and consequences for missing work, but my teammate has her kids call, so I was thinking about doing it as well. The call is not meant to have parents bring in work,but more as a verbal "heads up" to the parents. By no means a reward. :)

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2008

Just send a note home with the missing hw that the parent has to sign to be returned the next day with the assignment.

11. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 16, 2008

We don't have phones in our classroom either ... we have an intercom system that only works if someone is on the receiving end (not always the case). It is worrisome. I despise using the phone in the teacher's work room to call parents. I tend to send letters. I've noticed that our admin, our counselor, our officer and our nurse have cell phones on their hip. I plan to ask for their number this year in case I ever have a classroom emergency, I'll keep my cell in my desk, no one ever calls it during the day unless it's an emergency. When a student had a seizure in my classroom last year I had to send a kid on foot for help. Not good.

12. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

I think having a phone in your room is a must. I completely understand why you would want your kids to call themselves. It puts the responsibility back on THEM. Plus, notes don't always make it home. I have a phone in my room. I will even have kids call home if they are misbehaving and won't stop. There is something about having to talk to their parents right then and there that makes them stop their behavior immediately. Go for it!

P.S I even call parents at work if the situation is severe enough or if the same behavior keeps occuring.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2008

Calling parents at work over missing homework? How is that teaching the kids responsibility? EEK! Don't call me at work- email me maybe, send me a note to sign so I know my kid is behind but DON'T call me at work...that would just annoy me.

14. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

Wow. Tell me how you really feel. Maybe I didn't write my post carefully. But if you go back and read I said that I would call parents at home if a child keeps misbehaving and wouldn't stop. Then I went on to say i would call at work if it was severe enough. I never said I called parents at WORK for missing assignments.

15. hatima

hatima Devotee

Jul 16, 2008

Unfortuanately the no phone in the classroom isn't that unusual. I have had to use my home phone and cell phone to call parents. I wasn't very happy about having to unblock my number to call some parents. (luckily never did have a problem) Also one of the parents I absolutely had to call from my personal cell or home because she was using her cell phone from another state. I just used my cell, so I avoided long distance charges, it just caused me minutes. I have considered purchasing a second line with just minutes of talk time so I could use that for perental communication rather than a number used for personal communications.

16. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Jul 16, 2008

We do have phones in the classrooms, but during some construction a few years ago we didn't and had walkie talkie sort of things to use to communicate with the office. They were not really reliable and at one point the secretary came on the walkie talkie and said "Please send one student to the office to pick up the items in your mailbox. There are some papers that need to be sent home today. If you can't hear this message, try switching to a new channel." I had to think twice about that. It still cracks me up.:lol:

17. #1 Mrs. H

#1 Mrs. H Companion

Jul 16, 2008

OOH....not so sure about this one. Obviously, I am a teacher...but I'm also a parent...2 kids girl age 14, boy age 9, truth be told, if my husband or I got a call at work for misbehavior in the classroom that continued without regard to previous warnings...I'd be pretty bent out of shape: first at the student, then at the teacher. Seriously, unless my child has been in some sort of fight, or is sick or injured, I cannot see bothering a parent at work. Many are not allowed to receive phone calls while at work, nor can they appropriately handle a situation such as this while at work.
    Thinking about when I was a receptionist at a doctor's office with only 3 other employees, I would've had to take this call in a fairly public forum.....not cool. Leave a message at home if you must, but do not stress me out more while I'm at work...trust me, I will handle it when I get the message.
    This type of thing makes me think of my children fighting when they are home alone and one calls my cell phone...like there's a whole heck of a lot I can really do about it at that point...:mad:
    Not trying to bully, but if you're considering this, it had better be some VERY SERIOUS poor behavior.....and then some!

18. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

I don't think yall are understanding what I mean and that is my fault. I haven't been clear as I should be. I don't do this all the time. I am just saying I have when it is severe enough. When I call a parent a work it is because of serious misbehavior, not because they just had some minor misbehaviors. I don't do this very often and I don't do it with students who just get in trouble once in a while. I do it with students who have constant behavior problems and for parents that I have told that I may do this. I have had the parents thank me for letting them know. In fact, it is a opportunity for the parent to talk to the child and the behavior usually ends. Never once have I had a parent mad at me. AGAIN, I DON'T DO THIS ALL OF THE TIME. If yall don't agree that is fine. We can agree to disagree. I am done defending myself on this.

19. #1 Mrs. H

#1 Mrs. H Companion

Jul 16, 2008

No need to defend yourself...if you do it and it works for you, then go with it. I do like the concept of having students be responsible for their behavior and their work, I just don't know how mom and dad are supposed to fix it from work, that's all. As a parent, I would feel helpless at that moment....AND ready to jump through the phone and strangle my kid!!

20. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 16, 2008

I have a phone in my room. The only times I have had a child call their parent was when they left a project at home, book money was due or I needed a signed form (field trip) I also knew that the parent was a stay at home mom. I've never called parents at their workplace unless I have received a note from them asking me to call. Calling about homework, in my opinion, is not worth the time and trouble to both the parent and me. If homework is a problem I write a note and staple it in the child's weekly folder or make a notation in their daily assignment pad. I would have been very annoyed if I had received a phone call from one of my son's teachers about their homework, especially if I was in the middle of testing or a meeting.

21. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

Okay, I lied. I am not defending myself. LOL I first want to say that I respect your opinions. Everyone has their different style.

janlee- I agree. I only call parents at work if it is something that we talked about me doing. Unfortunately I didn't put that on my first couple of posts and it caused some confusion. It isn't about one missing homework assignment either.

#1 Mrs. H- Thank you! I understand your point too. At work you can't do anything. I was cracking up when you said you would be "ready to jump through the phone and strangle your child". I think every parent has been there.

On a more postive spin on the phone, I use it for positive things too. I will let a child call a parent when they have done something good. Parents appreciate this because it is nice to hear when your child has done something good. It also gives the child a big ego boost!

22. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jul 16, 2008

All of our newier elem. schools have them in everyroom even the lunchroom and gym. Only some of the middle or highschools have them. I think all classrooms should have them. If they don't have them than the student just goes to the office to call home/work . If the teachers needs to use it they can go to the Teachers lounge. Using cell phones is not really permited but I know teachers who do it. I do it but not when students are around. I need to check for missed calls to see if someone is calling me to work. If I don't call them back soon enough I could miss an oppurtunity to work. I do it during the time that students are a P.E., art, or music.

23. Ms.MB

Ms.MB Rookie

Jul 16, 2008

This prepaid phone...are you going to ask the principal to reimburse you for it or will it be coming out of your pocket?

I usually use my own cell phone when I need to talk to parents because the teacher's phone is located on the other side of the building.

I don't think there's is anything wrong with calling parents at their work place. I have done so in the past very few times and only when dealing with severe misbehavior. I'm sorry to have to bother them at their job, but I have an obligation to do my job, to teach ALL of my students and their child is not allowing that to happen.

24. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

Well put :D

25. peridotylayne

peridotylayne Companion

Jul 16, 2008

I know many teachers that call parents at work for students who CONSTANTLY never do homework and for severe misbehavior. It usually stops whatever it is right away because the parents are so upset that they've been disrupted at their place of business.

We don't have phones in our classrooms at my school, and now I've moved into a building pretty far from the main office. When I had a problem with a child that I couldn't handle myself (like when one particular student didn't have meds for his severe case of ADHD I'd call the office and have either a person from the office staff, principal, or asst. principal take him away)

I would have LOVED phone so that he could have called mom to tell her what he needed, but no such luck.

26. Ruby731

Ruby731 Rookie

Jul 17, 2008

I don't think I get to keep anything from the budget. Although, PTO gave us $50 each last year, so hopefully we'll get something like that again this year. Actually, I'm writing proposal to my local Target for other supplies. Mabye I'll include the $30 pre-paid.

For missing/redo work I have carbonless notes that I got from one of the office supply stores. Student will fill it out, staple it to their planner w/paperclip. Parent signs bottom after assignment is done/redone (hopefully!). Student attaches it to assignment, and puts it back in folder (hopefully!). This is going to take A LOT of training :)

27. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 17, 2008

I'm surprised you guys use the phone so much when there is E-MAIL! For everyone else, there is a office phone.

28. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 17, 2008

I work in a very low income area. I have very few parents who have access to email. Most of them don't even have a computer.

29. #1 Mrs. H

#1 Mrs. H Companion

Jul 17, 2008

I have 3 computers in my home and one in the classroom. I often find that during the "busy season" I do not always check my personal email every day...or every other day for that matter. So I wouldn't want to use that for anything "time sensitive"....but you are right...to each his own.

Regardless of what you'd use it for, I think I would like a connection to the outside world.

On another note, I provided parents with my home phone, and my cell phone number and no one ever abused it. I felt as though if they thought the issue was important enough to call me about it at home, I NEEDED to hear about it. Also, b/c my kids are heavily involved in extracurriculars, we were often gone on school nights. I would check my messages and return calls from my cell phone while sitting in my car at practice or something.

30. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 17, 2008

I agree. I have given my number out and it has never been abused. I probably can count on one hand that I was actually called at home.
    I am one of the few lucky ones who have a phone in my room where it actually makes outside calls. It is wonderful!!!

31. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 17, 2008

I also give out my home number. I had one nutty parent abuse it ONCE. She called me up at 2am on a Saturday night, and she was drunk! I just hung up! ( I only picked up the phone because my eyes couldn't focus on the caller ID, and I was afraid it was a family member with an emergency.) I simply blocked her number and told her she was no longer welcome to call me anymore.

That one annoying call wasn't enough to put me off the idea of giving out my number. Parents rarely call, and it is usually something I can handle quickly. There have been several times when that quick phone call has saved hours of unpleasantness the next day -- such as when a child goes home and tells half-of-the-truth to their parent -- like Susie called me dumb and the teacher didn't do anything about it! The parent calls -- I explain that her little darling had been teasing Susie all day, and Susie finally got upset and said that. The problem is taken care of, and the child is dealt with. It is better than walking in the next morning, and having that same parent all steamed up after spending the whole night stewing over the half-truth, go straight to the principal's office and make a stink. It just saves time and aggravation.

32. #1 Mrs. H

#1 Mrs. H Companion

Jul 17, 2008

On a funny note, I had a parent call b/c her son was very concerned that we did something in class and he didn't know how to do it...he was very confused...."is he struggling"..etc. The activity was 7 minutes of D.E.A.R. time-- Drop Everything And Read!!! Not that hard, huh? Well, this was at the end of 1st grade and it was only the 2nd time we had done it. When I explained that to the mom, she laughed her rear end off....funny thing was, he was the best reader I had!!:lol: Also the biggest worry wart...obviously!

33. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 17, 2008

That is pretty funny!!!:p Those poor 1st graders can get so confused so easily.

34. AbbyR

AbbyR Rookie

Jul 17, 2008

I do the same, and this year I am giving them a Vista Print magnet with the school's number, my number, and all my contact information. I want my parents to keep in touch. I have told them NOT to call after 8 p.m. because I have to be up at five to get work at time and unless Junior is in the hospital and asking for me, please don't call when I'm probably asleep. I hardly had any calls last year, but I think it helped with home/school relations. They knew I cared enough to give it to them.

35. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 17, 2008

I am stealing the magnet idea! How did you make them?

36. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Jul 17, 2008

We have our personal phones, turned off or on silent. They are not supposed to be used in front of students unless there is an extreme emergency. We cannot use it to call parents without going through the principal first. That is a no no. She wants to know what's going on at all times. We have a very strict policy on this for staff and students.

Our district frowns on phone calls at home from parents. It is even in our student handbook. They are supposed to do all communication during school hours. We also are told not to discuss students with parents in public places like the grocery store. There is a privacy issue there. There are so many people happy to sue for any little reason!

37. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 17, 2008

The nice thing about email is it is easier to prove and easier to copy your boss on.

Here's the thing with our school anyways. It is a deaf school. Most parents have pager email addresses. We have a videophone to call parents as well as a TTY but not all parents have them and the hearing parents have to be called through a 3rd party operator. Sometimes we will conference on the videophone but otherwise most parents and most situations are better handled through email.

My own children and their teachers (hearing schools) have always done everything through email. I don't know if that is their preferred method or if they do it for me. It is NICE to keep a running dialogue in record and have a chance to think, as a parent, and confer with my child before responding.

One thing I'm getting loud and clear from this post is that not only do we need to consider our own communication methods but we need to be asking our parents what their preferred communication methods are as well. Some actually wouldn't mind being called during work. My husband is one of them. Some would be ticked unless it was an emergency. Some would prefer more thinking time and the use of technology. Others want to hear their voice and have a more instantaneous conversation. Others need to have it on videophone because of language issues. I'm not sure I would have thought to ask before but I know I would have complied if I was asked.

38. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 17, 2008

I agree with you on asking the parents! I am going to compile a list this year of the ways parents prefer to be reached, and if there is any way they definitely don't want to be contacted. I think that will be a very valuable tool.
    So I am assuming you know sign language very well. I think that is so great. I have always wanted to get my sign language certificate. I used to interpret for the choir at my university. I loved it! We came across a lot of people who had a procedure done. For the life of me I can't remember what it is called. It is basically a surgery that puts in an implant of some type on the side of the patients head and helps them to hear. You probably know what I am talking about. Anyways, these devices allowed them to hear certain things, but many of them said it was hard to make out words in songs so they really benefited from the sign language. I am babbling now:blush:

39. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 17, 2008

I think you are referring to a cocquerel implant.

40. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 17, 2008

That is exactly what it is! I knew someone would know the proper name. :)

41. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 17, 2008

It's a cochlear implant. (It is implanted in the cochlea part of the ear).

The reason it is still hard to make out words is because even with the intense training that is required to fully use them properly the child/or adult is still functionally hard of hearing. There are tons of neurons in the ear and the device can only activate a specific and limited number of them.

Word clarity, more than loudness, tends to be the issue and everyone is different. It's kinda like this. All sounds are made of complex sounds. You don't hear pure tones in real life. If you can hear some of the frequencies at a certain loudness level, yet some of them it takes an even greater loudness level and some of them you might not hear at all then it comes across as distorted. It's like a radio between stations. That's where skills come in. If you know the song on the radio, you can start to fill in more clearly, for example.