Celebrating Halloween, Making it Curriculum-Relevant

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Ms.Jasztal, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 17, 2007

I do pumpkinology and spooky science (study special effects and other neat things) when Halloween comes. We also study chromatography. We're starting all that next week. What do you do for fall that fourth graders consider exciting- and best of all, captures their interest?

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 17, 2007

Wow, what's chromatography?

We make a big maze and invite the other classes to do it. It's a great cooperative and mathematical activity because they have to draw up plans, take and make measurements, etc. It also takes a lot of planning and cooperative group work. They are so excited. They make tickets and work as guides, leading little kids through the maze. Every year it gets better.

My student teacher mentor spent about a week with his 5th graders doing this. I devote math the day before, and the whole morning of Halloween to this activity. We also do some discussions before hand during morning meeting to plan what everyone needs to bring.

(They make the maze out of BIG BLOCKS which are huge wooden blocks our school has in the open area for classes to use on rainy days and things.)

4. Mrs.Rhinochunks

Mrs.Rhinochunks Companion

Oct 18, 2007

In a class of 28 I have 7 Jehovah's Witnesses. I learned this the hard way when I passed out pumpkin copies along with construction paper so they could create mosaic jack-o-lanterns.

To be honest, I am relieved to be off the hook. I do not feel at all obligated to fold holidays into the curriculum. I will touch on the seasons (I also found out that day that MOST kids in Arizona have no idea what a fall leaf looks like!) There are so many interesting subjects that I can correlate to the curriculum based on our reading and that will enhance their education far greater than holiday studies and celebrations.

Please do not misunderstand... I LOVE the holidays and religious observances, I am just relieved not to have the "distraction" in the classroom.

5. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 18, 2007

I've never had a Jehovah's Witness, though my best friend has had a good handful a few hours away.

Chromatography is where pigments are extracted from leaves and fruits/vegetables. It's a slightly nasty yet interesting process of how we extract the pigments. Yet we do it to see what turns fall leaves other colors.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 18, 2007

Would you explain how to do this? Thanks.

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 19, 2007

I found it in a hardcover Scholastic science experiments book. It is turquoise, and honestly, I need to find it. I don't remember the name of it, but it's probably one of the only Scholastic books that is hardcover.