Cease and Desist Bad Supervisor Reference

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by barronzp, Apr 22, 2016.

1. barronzp

barronzp Rookie

Apr 22, 2016

I recently uncovered a very negative (out of two) co-teacher student teacher reference. I have had several interviews that have encouraged me to fill out an app. I have relayed my preference for the co-teacher in question to not respond to any future job queries in regards to prospective employers. She has not responded back.

In the private employment world, giving a cease and desist letter to a bad reference giver is often adequate to get the referencer to just give dates and titles of employment. However, with government jobs (like a school district) I am not sure this is the case, it being government there is a 'patriotic' duty to give all subjective and objective info about the employee/student teacher to a prospective government entity.

Additionally, even if the cease and desist letter worked, would dates and titles give red flags to schools? (In the private, non-teaching sector, this is not the case, as many HR departments, as a policy, restrict past employee information to these two points.)

The teaching world is new and mysterious to me, particularly left-field questions like these that only a veteran teacher/administrator would know. It really is a different world.

Thank you for your support and help in this instance...

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2016

What specific things is the cooperating teacher saying?

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2016

I know nothing of the legalities of this, but my strong sense is that this situation would raise huge red flags in the hiring process.

5. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Apr 22, 2016

Is it warranted?

teacherintexas likes this.
  6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 22, 2016

My last district actually prohibited principals and other supervisors from giving references, good or bad. They were told to direct all reference checks to HR, where only title, dates of employment, and re-hire eligibility status would be shared. That didn't mean that all principals followed that rule, but they were suppose to. So, no, I don't think that would look bad. Many schools are now following the same policies that you suggested were typical in the private sector.

7. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Apr 22, 2016

This sounds like a fair policy because some supervisors will give glowing references to certain employees only because those empoloyees are their buddies. There are also some supervisors who will give unwarranted negative references to other employees because they like to sabotage those who have potential to further their careers.

In your last district, since supervisors couldn't give references to employees would employees thus ask parents, paraprofessionals, and other teachers for recommendations?

8. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 22, 2016

Technically, no district employee was allowed to give a reference check on another employee, no matter what position they held. So paraprofessionals and other teachers had the same restrictions as principals did. There were ways to get around this through, if you wanted someone to serve as a reference for you... As long as personal phone/address/email were given, an employee could still serve as a personal reference, if they chose to do so. They could also write letters of recommendation, but it could not be on school letterhead. However, if a principal was called by a potential employer simply because they were the candidate's most recent principal and not because they had been listed as a personal reference, then they were not allowed to respond to that reference request and, instead, had to direct the caller to HR.

miatorres likes this.
  9. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Apr 22, 2016

bella84, thanks for the great explanation. What I'm understanding is that HR at your last district can only state the candidate's title, dates of employment, and re-hire eligibility status. By re-hire eligibility status, do you mean that the HR staff will state their opinion on whether or not the district would hire the candidate again if they had an opening that the candidate qualifies for? I'm asking this because I have teacher friends at my old school who have an unreasonable administration. I would like to advise them on what to expect when they apply to other districts.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2016

Im headed to my sixth student teacher in the fall. There was only one in that group that I wouldn't recommend (poor content knowledge, poor professional appearance- kids saw thong underwear and navel piercings daily ). Reflect upon why you aren't getting at least a lukewarm rec

11. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 22, 2016

At the end of the year evaluation, principals had to check a box that stated "recommend reemployment: yes or no". So HR would share which box had been checked but nothing more, other than title, dates of employment, and I think final salary was also allowable.