CCSM and accelerating students

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by mathteachertobe, Feb 22, 2014.

1. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Feb 22, 2014

For those of you in districts that have already switched to the common core math standards, at what points do you have opportunities for very strong math students to accelerate? I have heard of some districts offering Math 8/Algebra combined and other districts offering a combined Algebra 2/Pre-Calculus class. What options does your district offer and what is the most advanced math class taught in your high schools? Parents in my district are concerned with the options we are thinking of offering, and I'm curious about how other districts have made the switch to the new standards. Thanks for any insights you can provide.

3. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Feb 22, 2014

At old school (middle school), it was Algebra 1 Honors. At my new school (high school), I believe it it AP Calculus. Although next year they might offer College Algebra and\or Geometry I would LOVE to teach College Algebra.

4. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Feb 22, 2014

Our regular kids take algebra 1 in 8th grade. Our accelerated kids take algebra 1 in 7th grade. We go up to AP Calculus II and AP Stats.

5. Glühwürmchen

Glühwürmchen Rookie

Feb 22, 2014

Currently they offer up to AP Calc II, but in a couple years (because of curriculum changes) they'll have Calc III. Many kids wanting to get ahead in math double up Geometry and Algebra II freshman year.

6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 22, 2014

Virginia is pushing to have all eighth graders take algebra I. In my district, some students are able to take algebra I in 7th grade, but they have to pass a placement test. We offer calc II, and at least a couple other high-level classes/

7. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Feb 24, 2014

8. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Mar 3, 2014

And it was a HUGE mistake (getting rid of it that is.) It has now given my district an excuse to make it nearly impossible for kids to take Alg 1 in 8th. Last year, everyone did. This year we have fewer than 60 kids enrolled. Next year, it will be even less.

To the original topic, our acceleration happens at the end of 6th grade and only at this point. If a student "clicks" later too bad. Our accelerated program is a two-year middle school program. If you don't get in at the beginning - too bad for you, you're not taking AP Calculus in High School because you can't get ahead. They have discussed integrating Alg 2/Pre-cal but it hasn't happened yet (and won't for at least another year.)

This is not the case in all districts in CA (or even most) but removing the requirement re-opened to the door to low expectations and my district admins ran right through it cheering all the way. It's disgusting.

9. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 3, 2014

Currently all our 8th graders take algebra I. It's an awful decision. Not every kid is ready for algebra I at that age and it really shows when they get to algebra II. We offer AP Stats and AP Calc in alternating years.