CCSD(Vegas) or CMS(Charlotte)

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by jwilso22, Jun 6, 2013.

1. jwilso22

jwilso22 Rookie

Jun 6, 2013

I relocated to teach at CMS last school year for the last month of school or so and moved back to MI this school year.

My husband and I are considering moving again for the upcoming school year and wanted to know if anyone has anything to offer regarding information on CCSD(Vegas) or CMS(Charlotte). Does anyone have any pros or cons to working at either district?

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2013

Have you been keeping up on the status of things in CMS? I don't teach at CMS, but a neighboring county and we've had massive lay-offs- the biggest I've ever seen. Some of the laid off teachers have 3-5 years in!
    I can't image CMS will hire many with things the ways they are. Plus they will have plenty of local experienced people to pick from.
    :sorry:

Las Vegas has a much better outlook as far as simply landing the position.

4. jwilso22

jwilso22 Rookie

Jun 6, 2013

Thanks, giraffe. I've had several calls from administrators at CMS, the same as last year and Skype interview requests. The pay in CCSD is higher, but I do already have my NC certification.

I really just want out of the district I'm in here in MI, so I'm torn right now. I would love to hear what it's like to teach in CCSD as well.

5. Shiloh17

Shiloh17 Companion

Jun 6, 2013

Vegas has a ton of openings. Received numerous e-mails from my university about relocating there. Relocating is just unrealistic for me.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2013

I know about CCSD. The district is hiring thousands of teachers for next year. What specific questions do you have?

7. ravinraven

ravinraven Companion

Jun 6, 2013

I feel like the OP (in MI looking to potentially moving to NC) and giraffe (in NC and wanting to go back to MI) switched jobs, everyone would be happy. If only teachers could swap jobs.

8. jwilso22

jwilso22 Rookie

Jun 6, 2013

Ravinraven I have a job at a district here in MI that I absolutely hate. They've taken money out of our pay without consent, most weeks we don't get the 3 weekly preps we're promised and I have 40 students in my class. So I'm trying to weigh my options now in regards to other states. The one thing I didn't like about CMS was the pay so that's why I started looking at CCSD.

9. ravinraven

ravinraven Companion

Jun 6, 2013

40 in a classroom? Gross. A cousin of mine and her husband are elementary school teachers in SW Michigan, so I understand how things are there. At least you're able to relocate. Good luck!

10. jwilso22

jwilso22 Rookie

Jun 6, 2013

Caesar753 thanks for the reply. I know a bunch of stuff could be found on google but there's nothing like a true opinion from an insider. What is the overall teaching climate like there in CCSD? The main problem I have where I'm at now is the large class sizes, no preps, no specials for the students(gym, art, computers), and the complete lack of respect for the teachers from the district. I was wondering does CCSD suffer from any of those problems. I'm really just trying to get a feel for the district.

I'm truly flexible and have not complained all year but I can't take another year of the district I'm in.

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2013

Out of curiousity, what general area are you in?

What you describe is not what schools that I subbed in are like at all. (I know things can vary a lot.) It actually sounds like the schools here. I L-O-V-E my school. I just can't take the ridiculously low pay ($30,000 and change for 5 years of experience), no planning (30 minutes three times a week), extra duties (lunch duty, recess duty, car duty), etc... People are usually under the misconception that I am homesick. I'm really not. I'm just tired of working to death (about 25 hours a week at a PT job on top of teaching) and having nothing to show for it. If I'm going to work myself to death, I'd rather be near family.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2013

Like most districts, it has its good and bad aspects.

Most teachers here are fairly happy or at least content. The unhappy ones have left during the past two years and lots of new, bright-eyed idealists have moved in. :)

We have a brand new superintendent as of the past few weeks. He has worked in the district for many, many years and his move into the superintendent position has been supported on all sides, including by the union and the school board. I think that he's got some good ideas and I'm interested to see where he goes from here. I also appreciate that he really knows our district and probably has a good sense about what will work and what might not.

The district has recently allocated tons of money in an effort to reduce class sizes. That's mostly why the district is hiring 2,000+ teachers for next year, actually. Many schools, including mine, have already implemented plans for class size reduction as part of turnaround/transformation efforts. My largest high school class is 36; in years past it has been over 50.

We have an okay union ("association")--not the best but better than nothing. We get plenty of prep time. I'm not certain about how much time elementary teachers get or on what sort of schedule, but I know that they get it.

On the other hand, we've had some problems with pay, step increases, and teachers having to pay money to offset the retirement contribution (which seems to be a violation of our contract but it is happening anyway). Many teachers are unhappy about the pay situation, and I don't blame them. It stinks to think that you're getting paid one amount per the contract only to find out that you're getting paid less. There is no solution to this problem in sight anytime soon, I understand.

I wish I could say that the district was perfect or even better than most, but I don't think that would be fair or true. All in all, I've had a great experience here and am reasonably happy. I know others who haven't had a similar experience and have quit and moved on.

If you're thinking of applying, get your application in ASAP and apply for a Nevada teaching license. I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have.