CC complaints other than math?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by SpecialPreskoo, Mar 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Mar 28, 2014

There are science, history and technology CC standards. I use them everyday in my lesson plans.

2. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Mar 28, 2014

Honest Teacher, do you teach elementary school?
    I teach upper elem and even with breaks, it would be extremely difficult for the students to stay focused on one project for a few hours in one day. For a big project like that, you'd get their best effort (without burning them out on the project) spreading it out over a few days.
    Also, I am curious if there is any research regarding what age children are able to learn typing skills. By that I mean learning how to do so by memorizing the keys and how to position fingers without taking them off the main row (i.e. NOT the "hunt and peck" method my students do when they do work on a keyboard). I remember taking a typing class daily in high school and even so it took most of the year to learn.

3. Honest_Teacher

Honest_Teacher Comrade

Mar 28, 2014

At what age did you learn how to write by hand? I'd wager it was before high school.

The standard doesn't say ANYTHING about doing a three page assignment in one sitting. It simply says students should be able to type three pages in one sitting by 6th grade. With early access to typing programs (a vital skill in almost every workplace today), that doesn't some to be much of a burden at all.

That's 1200 words single-spaced and 700 words double-spaced (which most teachers prefer).* Most "hunt-and-peck" typers hit 25 wpm, so that's exactly 48 minutes for 1200 words or 28 minutes for 700 words.**

Of course, we'd expect students to be better than "hunt-and-peck" typers once the standards are implemented and issues of access to technology are addressed; they should be typing at roughly 40-50 words per minute at that point, cutting those times in half.

No, this is not unreasonable.

Sources:

*http://www.wordstopages.com/

**http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Words_per_minute

4. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 28, 2014

I have no issues with the standards, either. Our grade level received netbooks for each student through an independent grant they wrote before I got there. No district funding-they worked hard for those netbooks.

Right now my students are working on research reports using the internet and Google Docs. After spring break I will show them how to 'share' their first sections with peers and do joint revising together from across the room. That is using technology to research, write and collaborate. It is totally possible at the fifth grade level.

Even if I didn't have 1:1 netbooks, I'd be using our computer lab time to do this. A standard is a standard-I personally think this is a great one. Students use technology to talk to each other all time-let's show them how to do that in their academics. If you need computers, figure out how to write grants for them. If you have a lab, ask your computer teacher to teach some Google Doc lessons. There are ways to get these things done.

I'm a problem solver. Give me a standard and I'll figure it out.

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 28, 2014

Also, my kids eat technology up and it always keeps them focuses. They can work for 2 hours straight on their research projects while staying quiet and focused. We have Wowzers, an online math program, and they can play that for an hour straight (I rarely let them). Reading and technology are the two areas my kids can sustain their focus in for over an hour, no problem.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 28, 2014

We tried using various strategies to get more computers. Just never came through... Actually, we were thisclose once and then our district "vetoed" it because of contract issues. With thirty computers for six-hundred students, those computers almost entirely devoted to testing and computer-based reading programs for struggling students, and no computer teacher, all students are simply not going to have access to the technology they need. You can be the best problem solver in the world, but you can't squeeze blood from a turnip.

All this said, I am in my early thirties and I was taught how to type in elementary school. We used a program that maybe had something to do with "PAWS". I was probably in fourth grade or so when we were tested on our typing abilities. Our keyboards were covered...no pecking allowed! It's truly amazing to me that back in the early 90s students had better technology instruction than my current students do.

7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 28, 2014

Back in the early 90's, if schools only had one computer lab, they weren't forced to keep it solely for computer testing. Of course computer instruction would be better under those conditions.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2014

:confused: please clarify or post links

9. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 28, 2014

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2014

That's what I suspected. CCSS CALLS ON OTHER CONTENT AREAS TO INTEGRATE ELA and math standards. This doesn't replace your 'regular' content standards, however...just adds to them

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 28, 2014

Right. And our schools were much smaller then (in the region) before reconfiguring. I think all elementary schools should have a technology teacher in the related arts program.

12. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Mar 28, 2014

We have 2 computer labs - about 60 computers total for 300 students. My class goes twice a week - once for 1/2 an hour the other time for an hour. Anything beyond that would not be a good use of my instructional time. Sure they can play math games, but they will do that at home, too. I need to be offering meaningful practice in the classroom which I can guide and instruct as necessary. Typing for 3 hours is a waste of our day and I would never let that happen, even if students were engaged. We wouldn't get anything else done!!

On the Monday we return from spring break (in a week! YAY!) we are going to the lab to make word family Wordles. It will take an hour for my kids to type in their word family words and then play with the text and colours in Wordle. It's a fun way to practice their spelling but definitely not something we do every time. An hour on spelling is a large chunk of our day.

13. Honest_Teacher

Honest_Teacher Comrade

Mar 28, 2014

This is a good thing, right?

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2014

I have no issues with it. What are your issues?

15. Honest_Teacher

Honest_Teacher Comrade

Mar 28, 2014

I just wanted to make sure I understand; people usually capitalize writing when they're angry, and you weren't really clear whether or not you supported literacy and numeracy standards being taught in other content areas.

16. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 28, 2014

Wait-why don't you spend that time having them type up a piece of their writing and practice revising on the computer? That would give you a whole hour of practicing typing, revision practice, using Word tools and getting them ready for typing on the test. You could even give them a prompt when they arrive and they have to freewrite for the time. That would be effectively using that technology time to meet the standards and if they are like my kids they will think it's a lot of fun to type their writing.

I don't think 2-3 hours of researching and typing a piece of writing is a waste of time at all. Using an entire hour to re-type a spelling list and play with font and colors seems like a more questionable use of my only technology/instructional time. As long as you are monitoring, the kids are engaged and you are teaching them skills as they work, it's a fabulous way to prepare them for the work they are going to be expected to do in middle school and beyond.

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 29, 2014

Scrimmage goes to the lab twice every week. I am sure she varies how that time is used with her first graders.

18. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Mar 29, 2014

http://www.corestandards.org/ELA-Literacy/RH/11-12/

These do replace the regular content standards. In Maryland, CCSS are now the regular standards and the VSCs are no longer to be used.

Once again, I have no problem with the CCSS, despite how vague and simplistic as they are for secondary History. It is what it is. Give this enough time and it too will run its course like NCLB.

19. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Mar 29, 2014

I went to elementary school in the 90s. I learned to type beginning in 3rd or 4th grade. By 4th or 5th grade (the time line is kind of hazy to me) we were given timed tests with keyboard covers. We even had typing competitions and the fastest students in each grade level were given certificates at the awards assembly. I've often said that it's one of the most valuable skills I ever learned in elementary school. I was typing extremely fast (and correctly) by the time I entered middle school. It set me up for success in my secondary years.

20. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Mar 29, 2014

Exactly. I gave an example of how we are using our time this week. We have done some typing before, but making a Wordle gives us a short, achievable goal while practicing our typing. Typing and revising a whole story (even though it may only be 2 sentences) can be overwhelming for kids who don't have basic typing skills.

21. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Mar 29, 2014

1. My kids are not preparing for any typing tests.

2. I am teaching them how to read and spell - that's my focus on preparing them for middle school. Middle school is a looooong ways away for my first graders.

22. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 29, 2014

I´m just curious (and please let me know if you´d prefer that I do this in a new thread), but what´s the complaint about CCSS for math (OP, in first post, states something about there being many complaints about CCSS for math)?

23. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 29, 2014

I'm sorry-then I'm confused why that was posted among answers saying they didn't have enough time with computers to practice sustained typing while writing stories and research papers. Seems like people were saying they were limited in their computer lab time, and then you said you were spending an hour making a wordle. And now you're saying you don't even take a typing test. I was taking it in the context of the conversation, but it seems like it was not related to it.

Just a bit confusing.

24. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Mar 29, 2014

TamiJ, most of the math complaints I have heard are because students have to understand the "why" instead of just using an algorithm. There are also issues because, in my state at least, content skipped around grade levels so there are huge chunks missing in their background knowledge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.