CBM monitoring fluency

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by rchlkay, Oct 11, 2008.

1. rchlkay

rchlkay Companion

Oct 11, 2008

What resources/program do you use to daily/weekly track reading fluency? I'm taking over a group of kids for English that I hadn't been working with before and am not sure where to start. I have part of Reading Naturally which the previous teacher was using for comprehension CBM's. I think fluency is also important and would like to start tracking this as well. I downloaded the fluency portion of A to Z reader which I think will be helpful but several of my kids are not as high as what it offers. When I did my student teaching, the teacher had a binder that they did repeated readings from and it was daily tracked....can't get a hold of her now.. Any advice? Suggestions?

3. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Oct 11, 2008

Read Naturally is a fluency based program. You can do fluency and comprehension. When a student starts a new story, you do a 1 minute timing. You are timing how many correct words the student reads in a minute. Once you've done this, You set a goal -- words per min for the student to reach-- in order to move on to the next story. The student then reads the same story several times before doing a final reading to see if he/she has met the goal and can move on to the next story. There are several stories in one level. You keep track on a bar graph chart WPMs. There you have it, your fluency. You will have to determine how many times a student should re-read a story. It generally depends on their tolerance.

4. riggit

riggit Rookie

Oct 12, 2008

My district requires us to progress monitor every 2 weeks using the DIBELS which is research based. I also use the Read Naturally CDs, but am using anything I can every single day. I use their science and social studies texts, short stories, poetry, and Reading A-Z. They especially like the National Geographic magazines and we just read it over and over.