Cbest

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by sandy, Mar 3, 2005.

1. sandy

sandy Rookie

Mar 3, 2005

:angel: Hi All,

I am planning to appear for CBEST examination in April 2005. I am weak in 2 sections essay and reading. I want to clear this exam in first attempt. I cant afford to retake the examination. Please help me .. I appreciate your suggestion, guidelines, tips....etc

In anticipation..

3. deciding

deciding Rookie

Mar 3, 2005

I used Princeton Review for the CBEST. It gave me some great pointers.

4. Jbrid

Jbrid Rookie

Mar 3, 2005

Speaking of the CBEST essays, do you all think that a low score on the essay portion is acceptable when applying for a Masters/credential program? I did really well on the math and reading sections, but I got lazy on the essay part. I might retake it. Thanks for your opinions!

5. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Mar 4, 2005

From what I understand, the actual scores are not reported to any school/univeristy (if you passed). I passed but had a really low score on the math portion and had no problem getting into a program.

6. Jbrid

Jbrid Rookie

Mar 4, 2005

Thanks Teacherfan! That makes me feel better!

7. sandy

sandy Rookie

Mar 4, 2005

Hey Teacherfan,

I had a quick quetsions for you. How your essay is scored on 20 to 80 scale? do you have any idea about it? Suppose i wrote 2 essay int he exam but one is good and another is so-so what are chances that i get clear with my essay section? I would like to know about the scoring part of essay and reading section. Are all questions in the math and reading sections carries equal mark? How many question should I have to attempt for passing reading and math sections?

8. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Mar 4, 2005

My essay was scored in the 50 range, lower than I thought I did but still passing. My reading was scored at 76 (on the 20 to 80 range) but my math was reallllly low at 39. When I took the test (about two years ago) you could not score lower than 41 on any portion of the exam unless two of your scores added up to 121 (I think) and then you could score as low as 37 on only one section. I think all the questions are scored equally but I am not 100% sure. When taking the test I would say answer all the questions, even if you are guessing as there is not any penalties for wrong answers. As for the essays, I think it is very possible to do just so-so one one and great on the other and still pass. I did not study much for the exam, only the math part and I scored very low in that section. With the math part I really focused on memorizing formulas and rules but on my test it seemed to be more logic type questions. I don't know if it was just the version I got or if it is always like that but...